Cooking thread?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking thread?

Cooking thread?

Anyone interested in a cooking thread?
    Today I'm mixing heavy and light. Sweet and savory. Served with a smile and under the hopes my kids love it.

I'm leading with acorn squash cut in half with a mix of butter, brown sugar, and syrup in the cavity. I miss that. My mom used to make it all the time when I was young. Now I know why: It's cheap and delicious. I'm planning to serve just before kickoff.

At halftime I'm going to serve seared scallops over a bed of lemon angel hair pasta. This is my first time cooking scallops (though I've eaten them many times). Let's hope I don't muck this up - from what I've read and watched a few seconds can be the difference between under-cooked, just right, and over-cooked.

Any dishes you want to share?

Also: Go Lions!

Similar Threads:

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    I had a date the other night at my place.

On the phone the day
    before, the girl asked me to "Cook her something she's never had
    before" for dinner.

After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten before.

I got out my trusty case of MRE's (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories in each meal.

Here's what I made: I took three of the Ham Slices out of their
    plastic packets, took out three of the Pork Chops, three packets of
    Chicken-a-la-king and eight packets of dehydrated butter noodles and some dehydrated/rehydrated rice.

I cooked the Ham Slices and Pork Chops in one pan, sauteed in shaved garlic and olive oil. In another pot, I blended the Chicken
    a-la-king, noodles, and rice together to make a sort of mush that
    looked suspiciously like succotash.

I added some spices, and blended everything together in a glass pan
    that I then cooked in the oven for about 35 minutes at 450 degrees.

When I took it out, it looked like, well, ham slices, pork chops,
    and a bed of yellow poop. I covered the tops of the meat in the MRE cheese (kinda like Velveeta) and added some green sprinkly things from one of my spice cans (hey, if it has green sprinkly things on it, it looks fancy right?)

For dessert, I took four MRE Pound Cakes, mashed 'em up, added five packets of cocoa powder, powdered coffee cream, and some water. I heated it up and stirred it until it looked like a sort of chunky gelatinous xxxxxxx, and I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of it. Voilaanger Pudding!

For dinner drinks, I took the rest of my bottle of Military
    Special Vodka (yes, they DO make a type of liquor named "Military Special"...it sells for $4.35 per fifth at the Class Six) and mixed in four packets of "Electrolytes - 1 each - Cherry flavored" (I swear, the packet says that). It looked like an eerie Kool-Aid with
    sparkles in it (that was the electrolytes I guess... but could've been
    leftover sand from Egypt ).

I lit two candles, put a vase of wildflowers in the middle, and set
    the table with my best set of Ralph Lauren Academy-series China
    (that stuff is EXPENSIVE... My set of 8 place settings cost me over
    $600 on sale at the Lejeune PX), and put the alcoholic drink in a
    crystal wine decanter.

She came over, and I had some appetizers already made, of MRE
    spaghetti-with-meatballs, set in small cups. She saw the dinner,
    saw the food, and said "This looks INCREDIBLE!!!"
    We dug in, and she loved the food.

Throughout the meal, she kept asking me how long it took me to make it, and kept remarking that I obviously knew a thing or two about cooking fine meals. She kind of balked at the make-shift "wine" I had set out, but after she tried it I guess she liked it because she drank four glasses during dinner.

At the end of the main course, when I served the dessert, she
    squealed with delight at the "Chocolate mousse" I had made. Huh?
    Chocolate what? Okay... Yeah... Its Chocolate Moose. Took me
    HOURS to make... Yup!

Later on, as we were watching a movie, she excused herself to use my rest room. While she was in there, I heard her say softly to
    herself "uh oh" and a resounding but petite fart punctuated her
    utterance of dismay.

Let the games begin. She sprayed about half a can of air freshener
    (Air Freshener, 1 each, Orange scent. Yup. The military even makes
    smell-good) and returned to the couch, this time with an obvious
    pained look. After 10 more minutes she excused herself again, and retreated to the bathroom for the second time, I could hear her say, "What the hell is WRONG with me???" as she again send flatulent shock waves into the porcelain bowl. This time, they sounded kinda wet, and I heard the toilet paper roll being employed, and again, LOTS more air freshener.

Back to the couch. She smiles meekly as she decides to sit on the
    chair instead of next to me. She sits on my chair, knees pulled up
    to her chest, kind of rocking back and forth slightly. Suddenly, without a word, she ROCKETED up and FLEW to the bathroom,
    slammed the door, and didn't come out for 30 minutes. I turned the movie up because I didn't want her to hear me laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my cheeks.

She came out with a slightly gray pallor to her face, and said "I am
    SOOOOOO sorry. I have NO idea what is wrong with me. I am so
    embarrassed; I can't believe I keep running to your bathroom!!"
    I gave her an Imodium AD, and she finally settled down and relaxed. Later on, she asked me again what I had made for dinner, because she had enjoyed it so much. I calmly took her into the kitchen and showed her all the used MRE bags and packets in the trash can. After explaining to her that she had eaten roughly 9,000 calories of "Marine Corps Field Rations" she turned stark white, looked at me incredulously, and said "I ate 9,000 calories of dehydrated food that was made 3 years ago?"

After I admitted it, she grabbed her coat and keys, and took off
    without a word. She called me yesterday. Seems she couldn't ****
    for 5 days, and when she finally did, the smell was so bad, her roommate could smell it from down the hall. She also told me she had been working out nonstop to combat the high caloric intake, and that she never wanted me to cook dinner for her again, unless she was PERSONALLY present and supervising.

It was a fun date. She laughed about it eventually and said that that was the first time she'd ever crapped in a guy's house on a date. She'd been so upset by it she was in tears in the bathroom while I had been in tears on the couch.

Chinese dish...

Ingredients:

Ratio: 2-1/2 lbs of tomatoes for every lb of ground pork. I usually make about 3 lbs ground pork with about 7 or 8 lbs of tomatoes.
    1/8 cup Shaoxing wine for every lb of pork (good but not necessary, can be found at an Asian market)
    Salt/pepper (to taste)
    1 to 2 TBS Soy sauce for every lb of pork
    Chile pequin to taste, but it's better if there's at least a bit of a kick
    Garlic...at least a 1/4 clove for every lb of pork

Night before: prepare ground beef. Add 1wine, soy sauce, salt/pepper and chopped garlic to the pork and blend it all well. Let the pork sit covered overnite in the fridge.

Next day: dice the tomatoes and bring to a med boil in a large pot. While tomatoes are heating, brown the pork in a frying pan. Drain the fat.

Mix the cooked pork with the tomatoes, add the chile and let it cook over a slow boil until most of the water from the tomatoes is boiled away and it has all thickened. May take a couple of hours depending on how much you're making. Stir occasionally and check the taste from time to time adjusting the amount of salt/pepper/chile to fit your taste.

When thickened, it's ready to go. Great over white rice, spaghetti, in a tortilla, or can be served as a dip with chips or nachos.

Tastes even better the day after it is cooked. Meat should taste moderately salty and the chile should have at least a little kick to it.

I might have to take that idea, slightly modify it, and give it a shot. That sounds delicious.

Credits
    Savings

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Why should he have checked?

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    That's a six year old thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post

05-04-14, 03:44 PM #490
    Ed Palmer
    was the last addition to the thread, "Sweetpea"

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    05-04-14, 03:44 PM #490
    Ed Palmer
    was the last addition to the thread, "Sweetpea"
    Just in case you missed it!!!

Next time you do an apple pie and you have to peel tons of apples

This is How Men Peel Apples for a pie!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=335893426565493

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    I doubt that the receipes changed in that time period.

I don't think the Marines here spend much time in the Marine Spouse forum.

there is or was a recipe swapping thread, I don't know if it is still around or not..

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    NEW TURKEY RECIPE

Your dinner will be the talk of the TOWN!!

You should try this!
    Sure to bring smiles from your guests!
    Here is a new way to prepare your Thanksgiving Turkey.

1. Cut out aluminum foil in desired shapes.
    2. Arrange the turkey in the roasting pan, position the foil carefully. (see attached picture for details)
    3. Roast according to your own recipe and serve.

Nice, Ed Palmer! Power tools doing double duty in the kitchen. Wouldn't want to scour the area for remnants of flying apple peel, but it sure cuts down on the time spent. I can peel pretty quickly when it's holiday season and I'm responsible for whippin' out at least 3-5 different pies of various types. I may have to try this come November.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    We already have a thread for that. Been around for 8 years.
    No double posting on threads here.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...-a-Recipe-Swap-!

Thread Information