Music Preference - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good ole off color jokes eh Barrio. Funny but off color

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I've got the feeling that those songs will be remembered long after gangsta rap is gone.

Since I was never into country? music there is only one title I can identify with.

It is the bartender's call at closing time. "It's No-tell Motel time, "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." Goodnight folks.

One you missed from your list is: "Get your tongue out of my mouth, I'm kissing you goodbye".

But C&W is noted for its lyrics. I can't picture an entertaining evening just listening to the melodies. Can you?

Originally posted by Barrio_rat

Negative - The greatest movie ever made is Battle Cry based on the greatest (fiction) book ever written, Battle Cry by Leon Uris. Though, The Blues Brothers should always get an honorable mention in most any movie list.
    Haven't seen it yet, Sergeant. I'll have to check it out when I get back from Parris Island.

Btw- speaking of books, has anyone read ``The Corps'' series by W.E.B. Griffin? I've read them all through book IX, but was a bit disappointed he decided to skip from 1943 straight to Korea with book X.

Music is of everyones personal taste, many of us like different "styles" of music. Neither is bad nor is one better then another. It really stems from where and how you grew, your taste change. I can just say I enjoy music alot.

Attached Images Attached Images  

All country music is bad. Down here if ya live in a trailer park and listen to country you must be an inbred

dep_baumy
    Guest Free Member
    Do you mean "Trailer" park, you inbred

Btw- speaking of books, has anyone read ``The Corps'' series by W.E.B. Griffin? I've read them all through book IX, but was a bit disappointed he decided to skip from 1943 straight to Korea with book X
    I have the whole series. I plan on reading them before I go to PI...got a list of other books to read first. Are they good?

Originally posted by YankeeDoodleAsh

I have the whole series. I plan on reading them before I go to PI...got a list of other books to read first. Are they good?
    I thought they were good. I mean, they aren't great works of literature or anything, and sometimes he'll say something in one book and contradict it in a subsequent book, but they're a fun read.

My big problem with the series is that book IX leaves off in mid- to late-1943, and book X (which just hit the presses yesterday, if I'm not mistaken) jumps straight to Korea. There's a lot of important battles and Marine Corps history left in World War II that aren't even mentioned, and at the end of book IX he had developed several subplots that are just left hanging by the jump in time. And what's with all The Famous Grouse scotch? (Once you get into the books, you'll understand that last comment. )

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I got a book called "Jarhead" for Christmas. Its supposed to be an autobiography of a Marine in the first Gulf War.

[This is also a repost of something I posted elsewhere about this book.]

I've read Jarhead. It's interesting, but not exactly what one might call a motivating book (at least, not in the Marine Corps sense). Swofford seems to have emerged from the Gulf War pretty angry, and tends to wax elloquent and emotional in a way that makes me a little uncomfortable. Then again, I gather that's part of his point. It's not a book I'd read right before shipping.

Jarhead is crap. For scintillating and illuminating reviews, go here and here. Both written by Marines, they express my opinions exactly.

I might be going against the grain on "Jarhead" by Anthony Swofford.
    I read it with an open mind, the cruel lanuage is not necessary.
    He does no service to scout/snipers.
    At first, I thought it was his life story, but at the end he has this;
    This book describes a number of people reacting to the difficulties of life, war and service in the U.S Marines.
    I'm grateful to these individuals for sharing their lifes with me.
    I've changed certain names and biographical details.
    So this is really fiction.
    It does no service and debases many men and women that have or currently wearing the Emblem of our beloved Corps
    Could he have gone a different route?
    We wish he would have...but it might sell as many as this book is doing.
    So it's all about money.
    He has debase himself by writting this book.
    Without knowing.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

PS Would I recommend this book...NO WAY!

If you want a good book about the Corps that will help you get ready for boot camp, Making the Corps, by Thomas E. Ricks, is a good book. It's simply a real account of a platoon going through boot camp. I found it to be very motivating.

P.S. Maybe you can take Jarhead back and exchange it.

How did we get to book from music preference?

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Make that "Books" when this message started out it was music preference.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Thread Information