My parents cancelled my appointment...and I'm 18!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

My parents cancelled my appointment...and I'm 18!

I'm 18 years old, and I made an appointment with my recruiter about a week ago for last Saturday. Well my parents found out, and my dad called my recruiter and cancelled my appointment. He told him I was in college and he wouldn't allow me to join the military, and I'm sure he mentioned that he's pretty high up in our county's Sheriff's Office. While I am in college, I'm only taking one class. I fully intended to get my Associate Degree before enlisting, but I knew after my first day of college that I wasn't supposed to be there and so I dropped all but the one I'm taking now.

Well when I got my phone back (parents confiscated it), I texted my recruiter an apology and said I am still interested in joining (I would've called but my parents are monitoring my calls...). He never replied, and I'm afraid he thinks that I'm just doing whatever my parents want me to do and that I'm wasting his time.

Since I planned on going to college full-time until I actually STARTED college, I quit my summer job. I don't even have any money in savings to move out for a few months until I ship out, because I payed all the money to my parents towards the car I drive (they're the sole owners). They also took the car, so I'd have to walk to the recruiter's even if he DID get back to me.

What are your thoughts? Is my recruiter angry? What should I do in this situation? Thank you in advance!

Similar Threads:

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I think you should act like a man and forge your own future. Your 18. You should have told your dad you could have him arrested for doing that.

Se another recruiter like nothing happened, sign an open contract and leave tomorrow for Boot Camp.

Now go change your diaper.

Credits
    Savings
    I will take into serious consideration signing an open contract, since the most important thing to me is becoming a Marine. Thank you for the answer.

as much as I hate to go behind anyone's parents back, maybe you should go to a friends house and ask if you could use their phone and call your recruiter from their and explain to Him or Her that you want to join and leave right away.. I do not know what kind of relationship you have with your parents so I could only say that if they have any kind of love for you they will get over any disappointment, and at least when my Daughter Graduated I was overwhelmed with pride in watching Her graduate that She followed in my footsteps

Good luck to you Miss and keep us posted as to what happens..

you could see about Marine ROTC and stay in school

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    School isn't for everyone. You really "should" stay in school. Very few would advise you to quit college, BUT college isn't for everyone, either.

So you have to do what's best for you, not what your parents want. They are not you and you are not them.

Do what is best for you. Keep posting here.

We'll give you constant feedback if you need it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    If this thread is legit----because there are many like this that are not----

There are thousands of young men and women out there who are going thru this same thing with mother and/or father. Bottom line----parents are parents, they want what is best for you, but they frequently try to substitute their own judgment for yours. That is not their function.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by awbrown1462 View Post
    you could see about Marine ROTC and stay in school
    I have looked into ROTC, but have come to the conclusion that it's not the right path for me.

@irpat54 and USMC2571, I appreciate your advice. It's good to know that my problem isn't a rare one, and I will most certainly keep you posted.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Not only is it not rare, it's quite common. Do a search here in Ask A Marine using key words and you'll find thread after thread about this subject. It's real common.

I agree with going to another recruiter and trying to get in ASAP. Altough even with an open conctract that may not be soon. My daughters were told the next available space for Boot Camp is March unless someone decides not to go or is not ready to go. The SNCOIC won't let anyone go unless he feels they are ready to go and will complete Boot Camp. My Daughter's want to take advantage of the Gi Bill and take classes while they are. They won't know what MOS they will get for a couple more weeks but are excited with the ones they may get and thankfully they scored well on the ASVAB. Make sure you study and do well on ASVAB so you get a good MOS. Maybe while you are in you can take some online classes so when you get it out you'll be more mentally prepared to go to school.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    According to your profile...your dad was in the Marine Corps....Besides leading I'm assuming a sheltered life....being home schooled and controlled by dominating parents....you gave no reason for your parents acting this way. Eighteen years old you are legally an adult....able to make decisions for yourself and by yourself...and legally accountable for those decisions since not considered a minor. Park the car in the driveway...leave a note on the dash.....walk to your recruiters office...don't text.....go sleep on a friends couch....or homeless shelter... get minimum wage job at fast food restaurant....sign papers at recruiters and DEP and grow up....there are alternatives if you want it...it's your life...Come On Down...you could be the next contestant in the Poolee Hall of Fame..It is better to be controlled at 18 by a drill instructor than have every move monitored worse than government spying. Good luck!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    It's interesting that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, down to the smallest detail. The phone, the car, the recruiter, college, the parents.
    Interesting scenario.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    According to your profile...your dad was in the Marine Corps....
    I hope it doesn't say that! My dad was never in the military at all. In the "Favorite Marine" portion? That's my grandfather. (:

@diego4life: I will look into taking online classes. I want to go into law enforcement later on, so some more education will help me get a job in that field.

@USMC2571: Yes it is. As you can see, my parents REALLY don't want me to enlist and have put a lot of thought into how they can try to stop me. Part of their defense is, "You can see how much we don't want you to join, how can you be so disrespectful as to do it anyways?" That's kind of a hard one for me as I have grown up around a family that really values respect. At the same time, I'm a legal adult and I have to do what I feel like I'm meant to do. I'm not very confident that they'll ever be happy or proud of this decision, but I know it's the right one for me.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    My mistake...need trifocals instead of bifocals.....

Respect goes both ways. They need to respect your decision, whatever reason it may be. If they cant stand behind you and allow you to grow up then they are the ones that should be seeking advice from professionals. What you need to do is go meet with your recruiter and get this worked out. Its your life and you need to start acting like an adult.

Thread Information