My parents cancelled my appointment...and I'm 18! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Best thing to do is to see the recruiter. No need for any drama or scenes, just quietly and firmly go about doing what's best for you, without getting into needless antagonisms. Good luck to you!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    How can you do it any way? Respect is a two way street. I agree whole heartily...."Honor thy mother and father". But there is a time to cut the apron strings and fall or fly from the nest.Are you an only child or the only girl? It really makes no difference but just asking. I will step on a limb here an say being home schooled is great...but it seems like if all you say is gospel you have been brain washed and have Stockholm Syndrome....it's time to woman up take the lace off and tell them what you want to do...You did not have a decision on what life/career they have...so it is a two way street.....if they care enough they should respect your wishes. Do they know your on this site?Good luck!

Youve got to do what you think is right. Thats the breaks for being an adult you cant live underneath your parents roof for the rest of your life. I mean you could be a non contributor to society but it sounds as if you arent looking to travel down that path.

So if you want to meet a recruiter meet a recruiter ask questions and make pros and cons of whats good about the decision and bad think it through both options are big decisions at least you can present it to your parents in a clear and concise way if you still want to enlist.

Whether they are happy with your decision or not it is your decision to make not theirs.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice---keep us posted here, please.

Have you thought "why" your parents are opposed to your behavior? It's not the Marine Corps they object to; rather, it's YOU. I see a young lady needing more "growing up" time which the Corps may not be the perfect answer initially. Stay in school. Right now I see a young woman wanting very much to be "independent," make your own decision, etc. Your parents checked your flight status and decided you can't solo just yet. Your parents love you. Embrace it. Stick with them. You'll be soloing sooner than you think -- or want!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    She'll grow up fast in the "Corps" and the sooner the better.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all, no updates yet but I will keep you posted.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    No one asked you yet but I will . Why do you want to enlist in the Marine Corps ? Is it just a way for you to get out of the house ? Part of growing up ? What is it that is motivating you ?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Before she responds, I want to say that I don't think the problem is her, I think the parents are today's usual "helicopter" parents, hovering over their child, knowing what's best for her, perhaps for the rest of her life.

I don't see it the way some do here, advising her to grow up. I think even considering enlisting in any military branch is already a sign of growing up.

But because she has parents that are rather typical in this day and age, does not mean the OP is doing anything wrong or failing to do something.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I first started considering the military when I was 11 and visited a military hospital. I started looking into the different branches, and pretty quickly realized that the Marines are not only the best branch, but the best fit for me. One of my grandfathers was in the Marine Corps for 20 years, and he still loves the Marine Corps to this day, much more than what I've seen in other veterans of different branches. As I got older I understood more and more that America owes its existence to our military. The pride and unity that the Marine Corps has is unparalleled in any other branch, and I want to be a part of something like that.

I don't find fulfillment working summer jobs and sitting in a classroom. I want to do something more important, even if I'm stuck cleaning bathrooms for four years, at least I wouldn't have to regret not joining.

If all I wanted to do was get out of the house, I was given the opportunity at a dispatch job, which pays really great money for an 18-year-old and I would have enough to move out within a couple months, so I would've taken that offer. Growing up and leaving home are certainly not negatives, but they're also things that I could find elsewhere. I've pretty much been handed everything my entire life. I don't come from a rich family, but I've never had to earn anything worth being proud of. If anything, I want to be able to earn even a fraction of a right to live in a country like America. America has it's problems, but have you heard of the birth lottery? Why are we so lucky to have been born in America? In my opinion, it's a citizen's duty to give back, to at least try to earn the right to be an American. That's my motivation.

Yes, I am a female, and I know that's not the most favorable thing when you're in the military. Honestly, that doesn't bother me that much. I don't have these huge aspirations to be fighting on the front lines, I'm not this huge feminist that fights for "women's equality" and all of that. We're not the same, I acknowledge that. I just want to do something instead of sitting at home while someone else goes and earns our freedom.

That's all pretty cliché, I know. But that's all there is to it.

I think you will do fine, just reach out to your recruiter and see if you can reschedule.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent response, one worthy of anyone's respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cmd View Post
    Growing up and leaving home are certainly not negatives, but they're also things that I could find elsewhere. I've pretty much been handed everything my entire life. I don't come from a rich family, but I've never had to earn anything worth being proud of. If anything, I want to be able to earn even a fraction of a right to live in a country like America. In my opinion, it's a citizen's duty to give back, to at least try to earn the right to be an American. That's my motivation.
    What the hell...I'll chime in....

The above are important observations to never lose sight of.

IMO....
    The best and most rewarding decision of my life was cutting the umbilical cord (asap, just prior to 18) and taking total responsibility for my own life and actions.
    You will experience speed bumps and errs in judgment as you enter a new life path.
    But, that's how one grows into a seasoned, responsible adult and actually learning the difference between knowledge and wisdom....do not confuse them....and strive for both.
    I wouldn't trade my USMC years and what they put me through for all the opium in India.
    It's made me the person I am to this day. (alright...hold the jokes all you Green Mofo's )

If you do join and enter boot I'll wish you well.
    Be the toughest and set the best example of all the other shvt maggots (figure of speech only) you'll be training with.

The ball is in your court.

Good luck....then carry on.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post, Wayne, as always.

My parents weren't keen on me leaving either but in the end as an ADULT it is your decision. Don't go behind their backs but don't let them run your life either.

Thread Information