Marine Retired in 2004 and Never Applied for Disability
Create Post

Question Marine Retired in 2004 and Never Applied for Disability

Hi

My husband retired after 20 years in the USMC. His last year of active duty included back fusion surgery at L5-S1. He was many months in recovery. He also had knee and ankle surgery while active duty. He retired several months later in 2004.

He never went to get a disability determination.

Since 2004 he has had rotator cuff and bicep tendon reattachment surgery, as well as arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and full knee replacement on his left knee. He is now scheduled to have knee replacement on his right knee. He has also had five outpatient neck procedures to alleviate the pain from degenerative disk issues at four vertebrae, all in an attempt to avoid neck fusion surgery.

Since all of these health issues are related to his service, we've been told that his retirement pay would be considered at least 80% disability. We are paying about $400/mo extra in taxes because he will not go through the VA disability determination process.

He has promised me for years he will go, but he never does.

Does anyone here understand this mentality? Is it too late since ten years have gone by for him to apply?

Thanks so much.

Frustrated wife.

Similar Threads:

Give a better profile about yourself and husband and I bet a Marine will be happy to answer, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Give a better profile about yourself and husband and I bet a Marine will be happy to answer, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.
    ??? What do you mean "give a better profile" ???? The fact that I poured my heart out here is not enough??

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Some Marines think that if they apply for VA benefits they are double dipping if they are retired and get compensated...not so...long story.... The VA medical is great to poor and he may of heard horror stories about care....but not all VA hospitals are bad. Paying the co payments for Tri Care is tough...he can split his health care between the VA and military hospitals. It only take a half hour to apply at a Disabled Veterans...VFW...or other service organization. The biggest thing is he rates it and unless you have plenty of money it does help on the costs. It's not to late to apply....but with the current situation in the world and the medical costs in the USA the line isn't getting any shorter. Tell him to at least apply if he is not comfortable go back to doing what he is doing......... Good luck! And what the Marine above said about profile....they don't want a life story...but it is a site rule.....

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Take him by the hand and bring his DD-214 to the nearest VA Medical Center. He will be glad you are pro-active about this. It's about time you save some money and with it you can take a vacation.

Best of luck to you.

You might even save enough to pay someone to fill out your profile properly. My name is ... and my last name is ,,,,,.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Hahahahaha

4 days and she never came back.....

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    She had first and last name, and I PMd her explaining that Sgt7477 is a good guy, just telling her about site rules, and Phantom is one of the best guys on here and gives good advice, and he too cited the rules, and next thing I knew, she had changed her profile to xxxx xxxx for first and last name, whereas she did have her real name there before.....became quite emotional, and left. Sad, aint it?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe dat's why her husband ain't applying...he can't fill simple forms either!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Ha !!!!

Couldn't be that this story posted by the OP is pure BS. Naw, that would never happen on a Marine site.

Too bad for her ... 80% disability could be $20K or higher annually ...

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Yup

You maybe eligible for a grants of up to $300,000 from the Afex Military grants benefits/supports.

Apply for a grant today at www.afexcreditonline.url.ph

Remember you don't have to pay it back as long as you're qualified.

this program is for those that are seeking financial help, trying to pay off a mortgage or trying to buy a new home and for the disable military personel

Thread Information