What Book(s) Are You Reading Lately? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    After reading 6 or 7 Louis L'Amour westerns in a row, some for the second time (a highly recommended author)-----started on a 2 volume biography of Lincoln. Have read two or three other biographies but this one is detailed and monumental. 2 volumes of 900 pages EACH, by Michael Burlingame, a distinguished professor of Lincoln studies at Southern Illinois University.....one of the very best books on Lincoln that I've ever read. Highly recommended.

Other biographies that are also excellent are "A. Lincoln" by Ronald C. White, and "With Malice Toward None" by Stephen Oates, the latter from around 1997.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    "With Malice Toward None"---1977, not 1997--reprinted many times.

"A. Lincoln"---2010, a one-volume biography. The best one-volume biography of Lincoln, in my opinion.

Marine Friend Free Member LitLover84's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I'll have to check out those biographies, Dave.

I just started reading Mad at School for one of my graduate courses. It covers issues surrounding members of higher education who are mentally ill and/or mentally disabled and the challenges/obstacles they face when confronting institutions of higher ed. It's very interesting so far.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Sounds interesting, Mandi.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Believe it or not I am quite literate....I go to the library about every two and a half weeks and get anywhere from eight to ten books varying authors....my wife gets the same amount maybe more....when mine are read or hers are read we can usually share some books.....I am reading now a western by William W. Johnstone. I enjoy all his westerns and post apocalyptic series. My genre fluctuates from fiction....horror..mysteries...westerns...paranorm al...crime.....Although my favorite book of all time is the biography...."The Life and Times Of Bloopdaman". It has been on the New York Best Sellers list for 59 years...what a classic!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I gotta read your biography, Bloop!

Credits
    Savings
    A classic read, no doubt! At once serious, poetic, and tear jerkingly hilarious. Deluxe version comes with additional pop-up section featuring Bloop's finest quips on Leatherneck.com!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I think his biography will stay on the best seller list for years

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Or maybe days.

Credits
    Savings
    A solid three months at the very least.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Hmm, Reading... Something else I may have to try...!!!
    WaterBoard.jpg

2015 The Second American Civil War: Freedom vs.Tyranny: by Ira J. Tabankin

The President disbands Congress to rule by executive order. He orders a total gun buy back to remove all firearms from private ownership. Drones roam American sky's looking for domestic terrorists. The President asks the United Nations to send troops to keep security and protect him from a multi million march on the Capital Mall. Texas secedes from the union while Mexican drug lords build a bridge and freeway into Arizona. The people of America have to decide which side they support, America as the founders envisioned or they tyranny the President demands in the name of protecting our children. This is the story of what could be if the current rash of executive orders continues. In this story America the mid term elections of 2014 provide the spark which causes the President to accelerate his transformation of America.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This sounds like a fun post, I don't mean to upset or rile anyone, so if this gets anyone upset please feel free to have a mod remove it, but,, I am currently reading "ATLAS SHRUGGED" and I received it for my birthday this year, still reading it, I don't get much time to read other than on the weekends so its taking me a while, its not finished yet, Ill tell you its a long read, but you cannot help but see the similarities of this book written so long ago with the actual and factual things going on right now under our very noses and eyes, seriously my brothers this is like reading a book of prophecy that's coming true all the while your reading it, freaking scary that this chick wrote this so many years ago only to have it literally fit the profile of our federal government today and the scandle's an criminal actions they get a way with by distorting the rule of law and bending whats left to suit their needs for more and more power and corruption, if you've a mind and have the time or inclination, by my leave read this one or if your for a shorter run in the literary world try "the prince" by maciavelli I think or something like that, this guy wrote this one a few hundred years ago and nailed our current porch monkey to the tree, or to the "whatever it is them muslims use to crucifiy someone in their faith uses"

Credits
    Savings
    I haven't read any of Ayn Rand's work yet, Duke. Both "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" on my to-be-read list, though. I'm adding "The Prince" to the list, too. I've read about Machiavelli but not his work, and I've heard many say it's right up there with "The Art of War" (which I need to finish, by the way) as a foundational/must read book.

The World Rushed In: The California Gold Rush Experience BY J.S. Holiday

Thread Information