What Book(s) Are You Reading Lately? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Twelve Years a Slave is the ONLY book that I've read at least 10 times over the years. Discovered it in the public library in 1970. Kept in touch with the editor, Sue Eakin, who passed away relatively recently. She was the main editor, providing footnotes etc and other explanations, being an expert on that section of Louisiana.
    There are several editions. The best one, because of the comments by Dr Eakin, is the one published by Louisiana State University Press----Alexandria, LA

This book will hold your attention from Page 1.

Don't know if I'll get to the book (12 Years a Slave), but I'll at least have to check out the movie, sounds great and Rotten Tomatoes gives it 5 stars.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Just one very dramatic and riveting incident, Solomon Northup, known in the South as Platt, was told to do some work with John Tibeats, temporary work, hired out or leased out by his owner, Edwin Epps. Tibeats was hard to get along with. Platt was hammering some nails, working on a roof of some kind, when Tibeats came along and started arguing about the nails not being the right size. One thing led to another and Tibeats grabbed an axe or some weapon and chased Solomon around until all of a sudden Northup did the unthinkable (in 1841-1853).

He grabbed a whip and beat Tibeats within an inch of his life.

The almost total recall (memory-wise) of Northup makes this one of the best slave narratives (so the genre is called) of the Gulf South.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I won't see the movie, figuring the scenes are etched in my mind as I remember them after having read this book at least ten times, so that I don't want the movie to interfere with the way I remember these scores of incidents 1841, when he was kidnapped as a free black in New York State, until he was rescued January 3, 1853.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Right now re-reading The Caine Mutiny, as good as the movie.

Marine Friend Free Member LitLover84's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    There's always that fear when a favorite book gets the screen treatment. There's no way an entire novel can be crammed into a 2 hr movie while remaining completely faithful/accurate to the original work. Once I came to terms with that, I was able to enjoy some of my favorite classic novels in movie version.

Just ordered "The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window to Human Nature" by Stephen Pinker. Looked interesting and hoping to use it as a source for my upcoming grad seminar paper.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I'm not like that with many books, just a handful....To Kill A Mockingbird is another, I don't want to see the movie again, saw it once. The characters, setting, etc are etched in my mind the way I remember them from first reading it.

Interesting thing about books--- In my experience, at least, re-reading a book, I will have the same images in my mind re characters, places etc as I did the first time I read it. Is it the same with you, Mandi?

Credits
    Savings
    Most of the time, Dave. I have the house and grounds of the fictional Thornfield Hall from Jane Eyre mapped out in my head. Even after seeing film versions, I still see my version of the area and characters again when I re-read the book.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Interesting. I noticed it years ago. It's almost like the psychological phenomenon known as "imprinting", in a way. Of course I haven't tried, consciously, to imagine other images while reading the same book, but I'll bet it can't be done, or at least not easily.

I didn't finish Jane Eyre but I remember that hall, and would surely "see" it like I imagined it, if I continued with the story.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    But anyway, let's try to keep this thread going, because if it hadn't been for you it would have continued to sink lower and lower until it ended up in the ancient archives here----not because I don't read, I do---maybe 70 or so books a year, or more, one thing after another, not hurriedly, just nearly continuously....signing off for now, take care.

Credits
    Savings
    I've tried meshing remembered scenes from movies with my own (*ahem* better) version while re-reading, and it didn't fly. The version in your head is, in my humble opinion, the most accurate. You create it as your read it, so it's your own individual version of the text. Nothing can be more "true" than that.

Wish I could remember which book/movie, but there was a time many years ago where I read the book then saw the movie and the movie scenes seemed to match the images I had from the book. Really pretty weird when that happens.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I know what you mean, Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    But anyway, let's try to keep this thread going, because if it hadn't been for you it would have continued to sink lower and lower until it ended up in the ancient archives here----not because I don't read, I do---maybe 70 or so books a year, or more, one thing after another, not hurriedly, just nearly continuously....signing off for now, take care.
    Well thanks to you guys I'm back to reading. I'm going through my collection of WWII submarine warfare reads (one of my favorite subjects) and reread Iron Coffins, Wahoo, and am currently reading War in the Boats by William J Ruhe.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Glad to hear that, Ken.

Thread Information