What Book(s) Are You Reading Lately? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I never read Shogun but would like to. Mandi mentioned Stephen Hunter. He has quite a few titles, but one of them that will hold your interest literally page by page is Pale Horse Coming.

Well at least you've got me back into reading. Went back to my collection of books on the WWII sub wars and decided to read Iron Coffins again.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Who wrote that one, Ken?

These recommendations open up a whole new world. As I mentioned, some Marine buddies recommended many authors I never would have heard of. My 8th grade teacher, some 30 years after being in his class in Bakersfield, California, introduced me to the novels of Louis L'Amour.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I found a lot of stuff on my own, as we all do, those of us who like to read---but I have a lot of folks to thank for recommending specific authors and works.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Just looked up Iron Coffins on Amazon...Herbert Werner. 276 reviews, nearly 5 star ratings by mostly all readers. I like to check out amazon.com for a lot of my books, with the nearest bookstore 7 miles away and with Borders having closed, amazon PRIME membership comes in handy, two day free shipping. I end up reading one thing after another, maybe 70 or more books a year, not fast, not slow, just regular pace. It got into my blood at some point long ago, I guess.

Marine Friend Free Member LitLover84's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Amazon Prime is a godsend. I've used it to buy textbooks as well as "fun" reading for a few years now. Can't beat two day shipping!

I'll have to check out that Hunter title as well as Iron Coffins. I have a friend who served on subs while in the Navy during the 90's. His sea stories were always a laugh, but his snippets of the history of submarine warfare were very interesting, too.

I'm also now reading a modern day retelling of the classic Jane Eyre. It's my bedtime reading that I use to wind down after plowing through academic texts. I'm enjoying it.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I just started 50 shades of gray. I've missed a lot of good stuff it seems being in the field ALL THE TIME....

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Never too late to catch up, Jimmy. How are things going?

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Who wrote that one, Ken?

These recommendations open up a whole new world. As I mentioned, some Marine buddies recommended many authors I never would have heard of. My 8th grade teacher, some 30 years after being in his class in Bakersfield, California, introduced me to the novels of Louis L'Amour.
    Never knew they had books in Bakersfield. I always thought that they only had Merle Haggard.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yep---Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and books, Willie. LOL

Forgot all about ole Buck. I do remember lots of tule fog and many, many oil rigs pumping black gold.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, indeed. To me, as a kid, they looked like big grasshoppers all over the hills outside of town.

Reading "Duty" by Robert Gates
    just finished Khe San The First Hill Fights and
    12 Years A Slave.

Marine Friend Free Member LitLover84's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    12 Years A Slave is a good book. I read it a long while back, and started re-reading it when the movie adaptation came out recently. Other things came up, and I didn't finish it. Never saw the movie, either. Anyone seen it and know if it's any good?

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Morning Dave. Great thread you started. That 50 shades of gray is making me want to get some new clothes and become a stud muffin hahahaha.

I saw 12 years a Slave. Made my eye's water a few times. Came out of the Movie Place a little differant with my thoughts than I did before I went in. Change for the better.

Thread Information