What Book(s) Are You Reading Lately? - Page 29
Create Post
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Henry the V by William Shakespeare

Anyone interested in reading any of his series...
    Be sure to read them in order. It is one long story with one connected to the next through the both the characters and the story line.

W.E.B. Griffin is his pen name. His real name is William E. Butterworth III

I got interested in his books because much of it has to do with military intelligence which I was involved in for a decade before I retired. I was just the lowly analyst on the bottom end, but that was better than nothing. He is skillful at weaving actual history with his fictional characters. I like the fact that he uses actual people in his stories. I wish I could verify just how accurate the stories are or if they are total fiction. I have read everything he has written except his police series. I await his son's next collaboration. Nothing has been said, but I believe WEB III has passed and WEB IV is completing his novels. I wish there was more on the Corps. Leaving me hanging at Inchon was not the ending I want.

Horatio Hornblower series of novels by C.S. Forester. About a British sailor who rises to admiral, and his adventures over the years. Very interesting novels, all of them.

The first of the series is Mr. Midshipman Hornblower.

You'll be surprised at how the stories carry you along. Plenty of action, intrigue, interesting things. Plus describing how things were on English ships during the Napoleonic Wars.

Hard books to put down, like Louis L'Amour or W.E.B. Griffin novels.

Starting to read Tony Hillerman, after reading Louis L'Amour books

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've got a couple of books going at the same time. The Outlander series by Gabaldon. The Survival Medicine Handbook by the Alton's. Just finished War is a Racket by Smedley D. Butler (don't know why I didn't read that sooner, but the main premise is fairly well know now anyway).

I have The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve by G. Edward Griffon on tap, then I'll have to see.

Just picked up "Handbook for Marine NCOs," what a treasure trove.

That reminds me, I still have my old Guidebook for Marines, 8th edition (1962). Went in in 1963.

Reading a huge biography by the person who probably knows more about Charles Dickens than anyone. "Charles Dickens" by Michael Slater. When it comes to Dickens novels I like two of his best: David Copperfield and also Great Expectations. If I'm not mistaken, his A Tale of Two Cities may have been THE best selling novel OF ALL TIME. I'll have to look that up, though.

Dickens is an excellent choice. I have read a few of his books, but I opted for purchasing the BBC DVD series on Dickens. It also includes his short stories.

I am currently reading "Without Cloak or Dagger" by Miles Copeland. Copeland was one of the original OSS agents then it became a main player in the CIA.

I just finished reading the book Start by Jon Acuff. It is a book about dealing with fear and escaping average.

I just finished reading Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander. It is a light hearted success book. It is a very easy and enjoyable read. Both Start which is a motivational/success book by Jon Acuff and Rhinoceros Success complement each other very well.

Thanks---good recommendations....I started, a couple of years ago, looking into books by Leslie Charteris and also by Erle Stanley Gardner.....Gardner was an attorney in Ventura, California who wrote the Perry Mason series, a series of novels, very interesting, plenty of action and suspense, from which the TV series was made.

Leslie Charteris series of novels called The Saint was also made into a TV series starring Roger Moore, of James Bond movies fame. The Saint Closes the Case, the Saint Returns, etc....these are only 1.99 each on amazon Kindle. Very inexpensive as far as e books go.

Two very good mystery/suspense series.

And again I can't help but reiterate what I said about John D MacDonald and his Travis McGee series, 21 titles, each with a color in the title. I read that entire series twice now, over the years. It's about a kind of private investigator who lives on a houseboat in Fort Lauderdale. He is a "salvage consultant". Someone has something stolen from him or her, they seek out Travis, and he recovers the stolen object etc and keeps half the proceeds. A private detective, but not registered as such. Very interesting, plenty of plot twisting, suspenseful, etc.
    One of the best series of books I've ever read. The Deep Blue Good-Bye, The Lonely Silver Rain, The Empty Copper Sea, Nightmare in Pink--21 titles in all.

Something else I'm recommending again is Robert Leckie's "Strong Men Armed: The US Marines Against Japan"----rather than talk about the various South Pacific battles and the USMC's participation in them, the author weaves a narrative changing from general info to specific info about specific Marines involved, thereby making the narrative much more personal and interesting.

"No Surrender" by Hiroo Onoda, available via amazon or Naval Institute Press. It's about a World War II Japanese soldier who fought in the Philippines but was still fighting years after the war was over! And he would not believe info dropped in the form of leaflets for him to read, nor would he listen to anyone who told him the war was over. He continued this for years. Finally, he told authorities that he would listen ONLY to his former commanding officer. The CO showed up and Mr Onoda finally believed the war was over, and surrendered at last. But in those jungles on an island, he fought on and on, his own private war.

You like westerns or don't like westerns? Give author Louis L'Amour a chance. My 8th grade teacher recommended L'Amour's novels to me about 20 years ago, and that introduced me to the author's works. Since then I've read almost 90 of his novels, but didn't read too many of his short stories, and he wrote quite a few of those. L'Amour, in my opinion and that of many others, is THE best western writer, surpassing even the great Zane Grey.

His westerns are timeless, and they are also stories about human nature, that happen to be set in the Old West, but the themes and topics could just as well have been set anywhere, and in any time or era.

So even if you have zero interest in westerns, these westerns are different from what you might expect.

Thread Information