What Book(s) Are You Reading Lately? - Page 27
Create Post
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast
    Have you ever read a book twice, or more than twice? I have, but on rare occasions. One book I read at least 10 times over the years, discovered it by accident in a public library of a major city. Just saw it there. Twelve Years a Slave--Solomon Northup. Made into a movie, but this was about 1970 when I found it on a library shelf. Since then I've read it at least 10 times. It is the most dramatic and interesting thing I've read.....another series of books I read twice is John D. MacDonald's 21 title Travis McGee series, each title has a color in it. The Deep Blue Goodbye, The Lonely Silver Rain. This is about a private detective and it's very very interesting reading. There are 21 novels in the series, as I mentioned. Highly recommended. I read each of them twice, over the years.

Another very interesting and hard to put down narrative is available online for free. The Narrative of Mary Rowlandson. In 1675 she and her children were captured by Indians and moved around from place to place until they were ransomed. The narrative is something you will find almost impossible to stop reading, once you start. As I said, available at no charge on the Internet. Not a long narrative, but again, one of the most dramatic and interesting true stories I have ever come across. Have read this probably five or six times over the years.

I have read most of W.E.B. Griffin books more then once.

Those are all great books, George.

I just got "On Valor's Side" on amazon kindle device for just 2.99

War In The Pacific----see above photo, only 2.99 on amazon kindle----a thousand times better than On Valor's side-----this is a compilation of first person narratives of combat experiences on Guadalcanal. Not a long book, only 183 pages, but hard to put down. One of the most interesting books I've read.

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I read On Valor's Side several times when I was a teenager (in the 1960s). As I recall, I enjoyed the book. Perhaps I'll get it from Amazon and read it again.

Good book, Chris, but War In the Pacific is many times better, in my humble opinion. On Valor's Side---half of it deals with Parris Island, the second half with Guadalcanal, but the author's experience on Guadalcanal doesn't indicate any interaction with the enemy, whereas the 21 or so stories told in the first person in War In The Pacific are all interesting and are all about actual combat.

Example: One Marine was wounded. He had never had his tonsils out, although his family always urged him to have this operation, as he had frequent colds etc as a result of not having it done. But a bullet went into his face, exited the other side, and the surgeons on board ship were astounded that that round severed his tonsils precisely where they would have operated. So each story is full of unbelievable detail about combat.

C.S. Forester wrote "The African Queen", which was made into a movie in 1951 starring Humprey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. He also wrote a series of novels about a fictitious British naval officer set during the Napoleonic Wars, called Horatio Hornblower. There are 10 or 11 titles, and each one takes you along with this main character from his entry into the navy as midshipman all the way to when he comes admiral.....these are so well written they are very hard to put down. Highly recommended.

And, again, the Travis McGee series about a hard boiled private detective on various adventures, very well written, also hard to put down once you start reading. John D. MacDonald wrote many novels, but this one series of 21 titles stands alone among all his works. Each title has a color in it. The Lonely Silver Rain, The Deep Blue Goodbye, etc. I read all of these titles twice. Very highly recommended to anyone who likes detective fiction. Travis McGee operates a salvage business, as he calls it. He is not a detective as such, but he takes on jobs, lives on a houseboat in Florida, and he keeps half of what he recovers, in the way of money, treasure etc. Very interesting reading.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Autobiography of a Flea...Edward Avery 1887 EnJoy

I've read Louis L amour over so many times since 1983 in Okinawa , and now I've been listening to Him on Tape's and CD's. The Grandkids just can't get over it that I enjoy Him s much !!! To Me it's so relaxing ... S/F

Thread Information