What Book(s) Are You Reading Lately? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ain't that the truth? Mitch, you were in the epicenter of Delta Blues! Sister went to school in Cleveland; relatives in Shelby, Alligator (yes, there still is a town called Alligator), Clarksdale. It would be nice to meet up with you. Name "Willo Goodwin" ring a bell? He was my football coach, Hall of Famer at Delta State. Ah won't hog this forum so hope to link up with you one day. You'll find me on the Internet...and History Channel, Vietnam in HD.

S/F
    Frank

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Frank and Mitch----stay on this thread while we talk about books, also...no problem as I started this thread myself...it's fine if you two guys talk here, really. Keep it on this thread, it can be about books AND long ago Mississippi days!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    stay on this thread while we talk about books, also...no problem as I started this thread myself...it's fine if you two guys talk here, really. Keep it on this thread, it can be about books AND long ago Mississippi days!
    Can I talk about my Comic Book series?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Sure, Bloop, why not? You and Mitch and Frank are three of the best guys on Leatherneck, without a doubt.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    About those recommendations I was talking about----if it were not for several Marine Corps buddies from the mid-1960s, I would never have heard of SOME of these:

Louis L'Amour
    John D MacDonald--15 titles in Travis McGee series--outstanding
    B. Traven--The Bridge in the Jungle
    Lee Child
    Dean Koontz
    Michael Connelly ---Harry Bosch series plus many standalones
    Barry Eisler--John Rain series
    Harlen Coben
    John Sandford--Prey series
    Agatha Christie
    Michael McGarrity---New Mexico series
    Gates of Fire--Stephen Pressfield
    Ice Station Zebra--Alistair Maclean
    Fahrenheit 451--Ray Bradbury
    Rex Stout----Nero Wolfe series
    The Jungle Books--Signet classics--Rudyard Kipling
    Treasure Island--Robt Louis Stevenson

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Non-fiction:

A Terrible Glory---Donovan--Little Big Horn/Custer
    If A Pirate I Must Be---Sanders---extremely interesting. About Bartolemew Roberts, the most successful pirate
    Joseph P Martin---Narrative, etc---A Revolutionary War soldier--In his own words.
    No Surrender---Hiroo Onoda----still fighting WWII 30 years after it was over.
    Indian War Veterans----In their own words--Jerome A. Greene
    Medieval England travel guide---like being there--Ian Mortimer
    Anything by the U.S. historian H W Brands
    Gettysburg---Stephen Sears.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    3 other fiction works:

Time and Again--Jack Finney
    The Charm School--Nelson DeMille
    The Intercept--Dick Wolf

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    One very striking book, full of detailed incidents, is Strong Men Armed, by Robert Leckie----Marines against Japanese in the Pacific.

I am presently reading 1984 by George Orwell

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That's a scary book, especially one part where you just about jump out of your chair, so unexpected that a certain thing would happen---they made that into a movie, but the book is much better.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Now reading The Last Stand, by Nathaniel Philbrick, a riveting account of the Battle of the Little Bighorn, June 25 and 26, 1876.

I've read A Terrible Glory, by ..Donovan and Son of the Morning Star by Evan Connell. Two outstanding books on Custer and the Little Bighorn

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Now reading Tucker, by Louis L'Amour. One of his better novels. Of course, they are all good.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Anyone who is not a Marine should feel free to post here. This whole Open Squad Bay includes threads started by folks who were not in the Corps, so it's open to all. Please feel free.

Marine Friend Free Member LitLover84's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Orwell's 1984 is a good one. I read it in HS and then again in a British Literature class in college. It was so much better the second time around. Funny how time, life experience, and living in a world where the NSA watches/hears/knows all can make a difference.

Most of my reading these days is for school (working on my Master's), but I do sneak in some "fun" reading here and there.

I recently read:
    The Secret Life of a Wallflower by Sara Rowe (Romance novel written by a friend/classmate. A very pleasant surprise with a foul mouthed, kick-a** heroine. Loved it.)
    Congo by Michael Crichton (I was left feeling "meh." Just expected it to be more.)
    Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter (Really enjoyed this one. More so than I expected.)

Started/In-Process of Reading:
    The Devil in the White City: A Saga of Magic and Murder at the Fair that Changed America (Non-Fiction)
    On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King (Reading it for a second time. Very good.)
    Jaws by Peter Benchley (struggling to keep going with this one. I want to because it's "classic," but I find Benchley's tone keeps p***ing me off.)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling (My son and I are working our way through the series)

On the Way to Me:
    For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (Come on Amazon, and get it here.)

One book I'd like to go back and read would be Shogun, read that when I was on the rock. One of the best books I ever read. Also read another in the Asian Saga, I think it was King Rat. I should read the entire collection.

Thread Information