Out-Of-State Reserve Unit?
Create Post

Out-Of-State Reserve Unit?

Hello, so my situation is that I want to be a Marine and I want to go to college, but I don't want to wait to do either of them, so I'm enlisting with the reserve and taking this year to do my training before I start school this time next year.

I live in Minneapolis, MN and got into University of Redlands, in Redlands, CA. So you can see my predicament. (Before you ask, no I will not consider just going to a college in my own state.)

I've started the process of enlisting and have taken my ASVAB (I got a 97 AFQT), so that's all good, but my recruiter is not sure how to wire it to get me with a reserve unit so far away.

My top two choices for MOS/Unit are as follows:

1. 0311/4th Light Armored Recon

2. 1812/4th Tanks

These two units are the closest to my college that have the jobs I want. If my only option is to catch a plane out there and enlist with a recruiter that's actually in California, I'll do it, but I want to know if I have other options first.

Thank you for your time and for serving our country.

Kaido.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I think that's a great idea, to do both, rather than choose one over the other. But as to practicalities nowadays, I leave that to some of the younger members here. Good luck.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    PM Josephd, who knows about things like this.

You need to get your recruiter to work this out. How do you know there are even any opens slots for thos MOSs at the unit?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am not sure exactly how this would work.... In the reserves you get contracted to whatever unit is more local to your home of record(where you're from/where you enlist from).

One option you can look into and work over with your recruiter is to enlist/contract to whatever unit is local to you now(the MP or bulk fuel unit in Mpls/St.Paul). Upon moving to California(prior to), you'll need to do an inter unit transfer where your unit will process you over to whatever unit is local to you in CA. As far as I am aware your recruiter in MN is kinda hamstringed to contract you to the local reserve unit. That is all he can do. Once you're in the Corps though, the reserve side is somewhat obligated to let you drill elsewhere as a courtesy/inter unit transfer to let you fulfill your contract obligation.

I have a few Marines at my unit that are doing exactly what I described, a few are from the Washington/Oregon area and moved down here to AZ for school. They drill at my reserve unit now even though they were not contracted to there and dont have the same MOS

Thread Information