Band Tattoo Dilemma
Create Post

Band Tattoo Dilemma

'Rah brothers,
    I have run into a bit of a dilemma with my newest tattoo. I recently got a band around my leg, just below the knee. It is a few inches wide and wraps completely around my leg, it is undeniably a "band tattoo." This tattoo has been okayed by a few of my Sgts, my GySgt, and even my MGySgt because, according to paragraph 5b of Maradmin 029/10, enlisted Marines can have a band tattoo as long as the width of said band is less than 1/4 of the exposed body part's surface while in the standard pt uniform.

The issue I've run into is that I've been stopped a few times now by people outside my command to talk to me about my "unauthorized tattoo." During these usually one-sided conversations, when I respectfully bring up maradmin 029/10 par. 5b, I've been told things like "you still have to be able to cover it with your hand" and "that only applies to bands under your shirt/shorts." I've yet to meet the Marine that can fully wrap a knife-hand around his leg to cover a band, and if it's covered by your pt gear then it's already in regs so why would that paragraph even be in there?

Is it that myself and my command are all interpreting the order wrong, or is there something we're missing? If it is out of regs then so be it, I did my homework but apparently not well enough and I'll accept that. I'm just curious about some of your opinions or if anyone has any references that apply specifically to this situation.

Semper Fi

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't know Regs now but I had the EGA on Top of My Right Hand...So @ Gate Duty Henderson Hall when I was Saluting the Brass like a Green Machine Very Smartly Alot of REMFERs that were Wrapped 2 Tight dropped a Dime on Me more than once 4 a Tat on My Hand Lt Gen Lew Walt thought it was BAD ! Semper Fi that

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Why even get the damn tattoo if you knew you were going to be skirting the Maradmin ?

You must have really " Fell in love " with it...

Nice tat Jack

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If anyone outside your command has an issue with it then take the verbal lashing as it is and with a grain of salt...give the proper "Aye Aye (insert rank or sir)" or "roger that" and move on. As a non-rate(junior Marine) that you seem to be there is nothing you can do about it, you're gonna get ridiculed for everything if it doesn't fit the cookie cutter mold that some expect.

I'll ask the same as above me though....why would you get a tattoo that you know would cause issues and draw negative attention??

There's a few other Marines in my company that have exposed bands. I talked to them and they said they rarely ever get flak about it because, according to 5b, it's within regs. They have it on their arms so I really didn't think that a band on my leg would draw quite so much more attention. I guess it's just the size of it that catches peoples' eye.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFist View Post
    There's a few other Marines in my company that have exposed bands. I talked to them and they said they rarely ever get flak about it because, according to 5b, it's within regs. They have it on their arms so I really didn't think that a band on my leg would draw quite so much more attention. I guess it's just the size of it that catches peoples' eye.
    in regs or not if you are around any highers and it rubs them the wrong way you are gonna hear about it. that goes for anything, I had a MSgt light me up once for not wearing a skivvy shirt underneath my cammies, which is authorized. Just the nature of the Corps brotha.

I wouldnt worry about it much, if your command is cool with it and it is technically in regs....take the tongue lashing, say "roger that", and go about your day.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    GoodLuck w/that Jarhead but I'm semi old so bare w/Me you've got Ink Band our your Leg & you've got Marines that R Whining unless they R WM's WTF on a Mans Leg You wear UTes & Boots...Chit id max out My Pro & Con marks Shoot High Expert max out PFT & date Fine Navy Nurses Female of Coarse Thanx 4 having Balls You 2 & fighting 4 my Freedom Aye Aye Semper Fi

I think you missed something:
    (3) INDIVIDUAL TATTOOS VISIBLE IN THE STANDARD PT UNIFORM (SHORTS AND T-SHIRT) WILL BE NO LARGER THAN THE WEARER'S HAND WITH FINGERS EXTENDED AND JOINED WITH THE THUMB TOUCHING THE BASE OF THE INDEX FINGER.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yep sure did Goodluck 2 All you Marines Godbless S/F

I know that paragraph 3 states that. In paragraph 5 there is this:
    B. BAND TATTOOS: A TATTOO WHICH PARTIALLY OR FULLY ENCIRCLES THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE BODY PART. OFFICERS ARE ALLOWED BAND TATTOO(S) WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF TWO (2) INCHES. ENLISTED MARINES ARE ALLOWED BAND TATTOO(S) WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH LESS THAN ONE-QUARTER OF THE RESPECTIVE BODY PART(S) (I.E., LEG OR ARM) EXPOSED SURFACE WHILE WEARING THE STANDARD PT UNIFORM.

The way I see it, unless there is someone out there that can wrap their hand around their arm/leg (not wrist because that's unauthorized anyway), these paragraphs contradict each other. Perhaps someone can clarify?

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Only 1/4 of the width of the Tattoo can be exposed in the PT uniform. Don't think circumference think thickness ( Width )

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Just tell them it is a cut line.....for amputation------------------Cut on the dotted line----------------

Quote Originally Posted by GFist View Post
    I know that paragraph 3 states that. In paragraph 5 there is this:
    B. BAND TATTOOS: A TATTOO WHICH PARTIALLY OR FULLY ENCIRCLES THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE BODY PART. OFFICERS ARE ALLOWED BAND TATTOO(S) WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF TWO (2) INCHES. ENLISTED MARINES ARE ALLOWED BAND TATTOO(S) WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH LESS THAN ONE-QUARTER OF THE RESPECTIVE BODY PART(S) (I.E., LEG OR ARM) EXPOSED SURFACE WHILE WEARING THE STANDARD PT UNIFORM.

The way I see it, unless there is someone out there that can wrap their hand around their arm/leg (not wrist because that's unauthorized anyway), these paragraphs contradict each other. Perhaps someone can clarify?
    If its a band the width (actually the height) that can be seen in PT gear it must be less than 1/4 of the body part. If its an individual tattoo it has to be covered by the hand. So depending on the thickness of your band it may be out of regs. If your band is 3 inches your leg has to be 12 inches wide.

Is it undocumented? Even if it is within regs if it is undocumented and showing you can get in trouble for it.

Thread Information