Boot Camp Rifle Range
Create Post

Boot Camp Rifle Range

Greeting Marines. I hear in boot camp recruits now-a-days qualify with the ACOG on the M16 rather then the traditional iron sites. Is this true? I have an AR-15 and would like to know how i should better prepare myself for the rifle range qualification. Thanks Marines.

Similar Threads:

Wow i cant spell. Greetings* Iron Sights*

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good question. Some of the younger folks will no doubt be in here to help out on this one. Good luck to you....

well as of 5 years ago, when my Daughter went through Boot Camp, She used the Traditional "iron sights" or the peep hole sights.. but things could have changed,,, I hope not, seems to me your better off using the iron sights to better yourself, should you ever find yourself with out all of the fancy "Feldercarb".

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And, as you probably know, the marksmanship instructors will completely prepare you from the ground up, using their own techniques.

Way back when, the highest possible score was 250. That was in effect for years. I grew up with firearms, my dad having been from Oklahoma, and shot 225 on qualification day----but a buddy of mine, who never even held a .22 in his hands before his rifle range days, scored a 237.

Naturally, due to the instruction of the marksmanship instructors.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    What you can attempt to practice is the "snapping in" positions, the unearthly positions they make you get into and stay into for long periods of time during dry firing way before they allow a shot to be fired.....that practice would come in handy.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    What you can attempt to practice is the "snapping in" positions, the unearthly positions they make you get into and stay into for long periods of time during dry firing way before they allow a shot to be fired.....that practice would come in handy.
    Hope he has a high tolerance to extreme pain!

I remember snapping in at Parris Island. Laying in that sand, and being wet and sweaty, I would look like the SAND MAN himself after I got up. Broke out with the meanest heat rash all over my back.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Absolutely------and one of the problems with practicing for anything related to boot camp is that you may have to UNLEARN what you learned at home as you are taught to do it their way and only their way---so in many respects it is just easier to let them teach you the way they want it done, rather than take a chance on learning, then having to "unlearn".

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    yes you will qualify on the M16-A4 service rifle with an RCO/ACOG. there is nothing you can do to prepare for it, everything you will need to know and learn will be taught to you by an instructor/coach at boot camp. actually you are better off not trying to learn early so you don't develop bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    And, as you probably know, the marksmanship instructors will completely prepare you from the ground up, using their own techniques.

Way back when, the highest possible score was 250. That was in effect for years. I grew up with firearms, my dad having been from Oklahoma, and shot 225 on qualification day----but a buddy of mine, who never even held a .22 in his hands before his rifle range days, scored a 237.

Naturally, due to the instruction of the marksmanship instructors.

I concur...when I was in boot, I think I remember instructors telling the experienced shooters to forget everything they knew because they might bring habits or skills to the range that are not fitting to the Marines that has to be undone. Thus and untrained shooter can outdo an experienced one.

I had almost no experience with a rifle and did sharpshooter in boot and expert by the time I was out.

They'll teach you everything you need to know...pay special attention to the painful yet vital 'snapping in' part of rifle training...that is the foundation of qualifying at the range.

Thread Information