Vision Test?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision Test?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Vision Test?

So, this is my first time in this forum. I want to join the Marines but I would like to know if my eyesight could disqualify me? I lack vision in my right eye, its not permanently blind however its just quite poor. Only if I focus can I really use that eye.
    Are there non-combat positions I could work in or am I just kinda screwed out of the whole deal?

Similar Threads:

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I'd like to answer your question but I can hardly read it. I have vision problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMatty View Post
    So, this is my first time in this forum. I want to join the Marines but I would like to know if my eyesight could disqualify me? I lack vision in my right eye, its not permanently blind however its just quite poor. Only if I focus can I really use that eye.
    Are there non-combat positions I could work in or am I just kinda screwed out of the whole deal?
    your best bet, if you haven't already and by your question I assume you haven't, is to talk to a recruiter, He or She could tell you right off whether you are DQ'ed or not.

also how old are you? and do you or can you get corrective lenses for the problem.

Are there non-combat positions I could work in or am I just kinda screwed out of the whole deal
    there are non combat jobs, but in the Marines Corps everybody is a basic rifleman, in other words every person whether a cook or a Remington raider is a basic infantryman, and all go through the basic combat course upon graduation from boot camp.

I would have to say a lot depends on whether your eye sight can be corrected.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Now that I found my glasses, yes Pat is correct, talk to a recruiter. If your vision is correctable your good to go.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    your best bet, if you haven't already and by your question I assume you haven't, is to talk to a recruiter, He or She could tell you right off whether you are DQ'ed or not.

also how old are you? and do you or can you get corrective lenses for the problem.

there are non combat jobs, but in the Marines Corps everybody is a basic rifleman, in other words every person whether a cook or a Remington raider is a basic infantryman, and all go through the basic combat course upon graduation from boot camp.

I would have to say a lot depends on whether your eye sight can be corrected.
    I currently wear contact lenses for it, would I be stuck with big-assed frame glasses? I'm 18 and I've got corrective lenses as mentioned above.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I currently wear contact lenses for it, would I be stuck with big-assed frame glasses? I'm 18 and I've got corrective lenses as mentioned above.
    Yes if you pass the vision test with no waivers by MEPS or BUMMED and are allowed to DEP you will BCG's until you leave boot camp and then you will be able to wear contact lenses or other frame glasses. The BCG's are for the protection your eyes. If you become a Marine you can wear contacts...but you need to use common sense.....gas chamber..dust...field...ect....depending on your MOS. See (sic) a recruiter ASAP !

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I see...

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I can't really comment on this. I had to wear glasses to qualify on the rifle range. However....I was an m-60 walking gunner.....so didn't need to see very good.....just unloaded at the noise. Besides, it was very hard to keep a pair of glasses in the Nam, if you were a grunt. We had this thing....if it makes any noise, shoot it. We didn't see what we shot at half the time anyway.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Speak with a recruiter. There is only one on Leatherneck and he hasn't logged in in awhile now---keep us posted. We like to hear how things turn out for folks.
    A recruiter is the only one that will give you good and current info

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all your input. I've got an appointment with one Wednesday in the afternoon. I'll post updates, see how it all goes.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Good luck! SEE you when you get back!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I SEE you and Baker are seeing this thread about seeing....as funny! Seeing the things I have seen in my life...I don't see anything funny about not being able to see good in one eye. I see this thread about seeing, as important as seeing one about hearing. And I hear that hearing and seeing threads are not as important as threads about feelings. I personally feel good hearing about threads that address the issue of feelings.....no matter if it's good feelings or bad feelings. I see them all as priority. In this day and time you get the feeling that no-one sees or hears the important things we think about. I think people think what they hear and see. Never giving thought to those who can't see or hear....or think for themselves. I hope my insight on these important issues have been noticed by my fellow Marines. I hope this clears up the vision debate. I'll see you tomorrow....I hope!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    It sure as hell does clear it up, as soon as we figure out what the hell Mongoose just said!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I can't see or hear now without help....sometimes I can't pee either....but dat' is whole different story.............

Thread Information