Learning about my grandfather, please help!
Create Post

Learning about my grandfather, please help!

Hello All!

I am trying to compile all of my grandfather's military history from WWII. He was Marine for 38 years and retired with the rank of Master Gunnery Sgt. Unfortunately, he passed away last summer without speaking much about his time in the Pacific. I do know that he enlisted in 1943 and spent time during the war on Guadalcanal, Guam in and China.
    I have located some of the muster rolls from that time frame, but (excuse my ignorance) am not sure how to use that information to help pinpoint where he was and when; I also have no information on a company that he was attached to. I was hoping by posting the information I gathered, one of you may be of some assistance in this search. I apologize if I have used any incorrect terminology or anything of the sort in my post. Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to help!! That being said, here's what I've got:
    (These first few, I know the location but wasn't sure if they were relevant once deployed)

July 1943
    Third Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, MCB, San Diego, California

October 1943
    Telephone Company, Signal Battalion, MCB, San Diego, 40, California

January 1944
    First Field ARTY-BTRY, ARTY, BN, TC, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, California

April 1944
    AA ARTY GRP, 14th DefBn., III CorpsArty, III PhibCorps, In the Field
    (Remarks for this state TpOp Lineman, as is listed in the next few rolls as well)

July 1944
    AA ARTY GRP, 14th DefBN., III CorArty, III PhibCor, In the Field

October 1944
    Searchlight Battery, 14th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, Reinforced

April 1945
    Searchlight Battery, 14th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, FMF Pacific

October 1945
    Searchlight Battery, 17th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, FMF
    (He is listed under transferred in this one)

January 1946
    H&SCO, First Separate Engineer Battalion, Corps TRS, III Amphibious Corps, FMF

Also, after his name on all of these is (CP) and then in remarks, the number 641 and (SS)