Marines who went to the darkside - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had chances to go to the darkside but not for me, Marine all the way, Semper Fidelis.

What happened to me that changed my mind about joining the Marine Reserves had to do with what happened on my first visit with the Millington unit. While I was there, they got a reply that I could come in as a Gunny and take over the comm section. Everything seemed to be fine. When Sunday afternoon came, I went out to my car and pushed in on the clutch...POP! What do you do on a Sunday afternoon when all the mechanics are not working and you live over 130 miles from where your car breaks down? Fortunately, I found a mechanic who said I could park my car at his shop and he would get on it in the morning. One Marine was kind enough to tow me out the gate and out on the highway to the mechanic and then to the store just down the street that was also the Greyhound bus stop. Instead of getting home about 7:30 PM, I got back after midnight and had to have my father drive 15 miles to pick me up and take me home. A couple of days later I had to take a bus back to Millington, pick up the car, and drive home. What a hassle. It was like a sign from above. I opted instead to join the Army Reserve and went in as an SSgt. After a year of being in a Drill Sergeant platoon and getting ready to go to DS school for tankers, I got out and joined the Army National Guard and stayed there until I got my time in to retired. I just couldn't throw away all that active duty time. Now I draw almost 1/3 of a Gunny's base pay for the rest of my life. It was worth it.

Active duty Marine Corps 1981-84, 12 year break in service, Currently USAF Air National Guard.

Thread Information