What to do?
Create Post

Thread: What to do?

Unhappy What to do?

Hello to the USMC community! Not too long ago I decided to join your ranks but when I announced it to my friends and family I was met with a lot of skepticism and negativity. "Why do you want to get yourself killed? You have so much to live for. Your throwing your life away, among the other things people were saying. These made me rethink my decision and decided on trying to make things work in the civilian world. Just to give anyone who reads this a heads up, I was adopted at the age of fourteen from Zimbabwe by my brother. I also had two uncles who fought in the same war, but on opposite sides (you can imagine the family events when they got to drinking.) That's another story. Ever since then my life has been crap, with the constant thought of joining the corp shelved away but still something I would think about. 2012 I decided to go ahead and start the process of joining the corps, after years of misery trying to make things work. Again I was met with the same things this time from my friends mostly. And I decided to put my self through the misery of trying to make things work. I had a few mishaps along they way which more and more made me realize I was not meant to live in the civilian world. Last winter I then made the decision to go ahead and really do this. I am winding my summer down, but find my self facing the same dilemma all over again. I have begun detoxing because I had been using marijuana, which brings me to my dilemma majority of my friends smoke and when I said that I was quitting smoking to join the usual hubbub started. I don't talk to some of my friends anymore not by choice but because they don't agree with my decision. Why can't people just be happy that I want to do something to better my self and we can still be friends I just can't be the person I used to be. Now I'm conflicted on whether I should please them or my self? And I have shown nothing but loyalty and trust to them, but some still choose to wipe my face in their crap. I need advice on how to let go of this situation and do what I feel I was meant to do which is to protect the freedom and liberties that so many have come to take for granted.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    You should continue pleasing your friends.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Sounds like your life is influenced by your friends....as an old cliché goes: "With friends like that you don't need enemies!" Get and stay off the pot....the Marine Corps and all branches have a zero tolerance for drugs. I found out that when I joined the Marines and went home all my associates on da' block were still stagnant in the life that they had. I also found out many years down the road when someone wants to hold you back from a dream or something you want to do by spurting forth bovine excrement...Fuk em' and the donkey they road in on! Unless you want to stay stagnant for the rest of your life.....listen to your "friends".....I have no hometown friends.... My friends are my band of brothers and sisters for the past 40 + years.....and besides my family (sometimes) I would have it no other way!

Josey not what I was hoping to hear, but phantom what you said is the path I'm going to follow. Fuk'm I'm going to what's best for me. Thanks.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I think if you really couldn't figure this one out yourself......your not ready for the Corps.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Seems that way, Billy. Not everyone is ready for the Corps at any one particular time in his or her life. Just like college. Not everyone is ready for college.
    When you feel ready for this, talk to a recruiter. No obligation.

Credits
    Savings
    IF the lad wants to "Go along- to get along"...
    He sure as $hi5 ain't gonna like the Marine Corps.

Zimbabwe-willy better learn to spell "CORPS"

Bye the bye.... GRUNT's a title you might earn,
    after you earn your EGA....

I don't know much...but I DO know that in 20 years the friends you have today will be long forgotten, but your brother Marines will STILL be your brothers as long as you live.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That's for sure. Good post.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    If your not ready after 2 years of thinking about it we don't need you and your drug problem either.

Try the girl scouts..

Thread Information