NAM w/V Resubmission. Is it possible?
Create Post

Exclamation NAM w/V Resubmission. Is it possible?

I spoke to my old platoon commander for the first time in 5 or so years about 2 months ago. I had heard that during my time in Fallujah I was submitted for a NAM w/V for a firefight that I was in. After years of thinking it was a platoon myth, I finally decided to contact my old Lt. and find out if it was true. It turns out that it was. He and multiple others felt that I should have received the award however for some reason it was downgraded. He said if there was a way to resubmit it or upgrade it then he would. Is there a way to resubmit the award or have it upgraded even though I've been out since 2008? Any and all information would be great.

S/F

Reaper

Does anyone know anything? I'm assuming that it's probably not possible? Thanks for any and all info

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All as I know your Lt., has little power it would be the US Navy who makes finally decision on your decoration. If your action doesn't warrant that NAM w/V in the eyes of the Navy no matter how your Lt., may have wrote up the action report you will not get it. The US Navy has final say over Marines decorations and if they felt you should get a lower decoration you will. All your Lt. can do is resubmit for the original decoration again with a strong reason why he feels you deserve this decorations and if he (Lt.), could have the entire platoon to sign off the request you may get lucky. Otherwise, you can ask for a change of decoration to the Department of the Navy but very few have ever been over turned.

This happen to me in Vietnam, I was put up for the bronze star after a night time action but the Navy felt I deserved a much lower decoration and I never got my BS. it sucks that Navy personnel who sits in Washington at the Pentagon makes decisions on which decoration you get when you place your life on the line but this is our system....Good luck

Riven, thanks for the input. As I understand it the Lt. explained that my particular command had a bad habit of downgrading awards automatically. He said that since he was new he wasn't up to speed on the fact that he needed to submit at a level 1-2 higher than what he thought I deserved. I don't think the Department of the Navy would downgrade it. Let's just say that that day is a day that I replay over and over and wonder how in the hell I'm still alive. Thanks again.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Brother, you know you can submit your own letter to the Dept. of the Navy and your accounts of that day. They already have the first one submitted by your command.

I dont know about NAM with a V but a regular NAM i believe now can be approved by your Regiment by that i mean if you fall under MHG MLG i believe thats as high as it needs to go, i thought they lowered it to where even the BN commander can approve a NAM now I might be mistaken.

As for re-submission you could probably re-submit it but if it was downgraded IMHO you got what you got, nbot sure if they will do anything especially if you are not even active anymore. It is worth a shot though i guess whats the worst that could happen?

Baker, I didn't know that. Any idea of the channels that I'd go through to do that (i.e. form, where to send, etc)? We all know that the DoD has a department for each form they use so it feels like a never ending hallways full of doors to choose from. I would contact the corps themselves but I've sent emails about getting award added to my DD214 that was awarded after discharge and never received responses. Thanks again

Munky, thanks, I'll contact him again and let him know that it may be as simple as a re-submission to the regiment.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    NAMs and COMs are typically approved at the Bn level. HQMC has an awards section that you need to contact that will review your submission, they are reviewing a combat action report right now for myself for my CAR. Your Lt. should just be able to call them or shoot an email over and they can dig it up.

After I was out for a while, I requested a copy of my records. When I got them, the original letter for a Joint Service Superior Service Medal was included. What I ended up with was the Joint Service Commendation Medal. It seems that enlisted do not normally get the Superior Service Medal. If you request your records, you might find some information about it.

Thanks gents, I will see about having him contact HQMC Awards section and see what can be done. I am in the process of resubmitting for a number of awards including a PH. My command were all hard charging devils and I don't think were too keen on paperwork. However I have signed and sworn statements from Marines that were there, the company commander, and the battalion medical officer. The only thing that I'm worried about is having my name come across the desks of battalion and regimental commanders for multiple awards. I was just a pee-on 0331 Lcpl. Don't necessarily feel like ****ing them off or making them think I'm selfish. I wouldn't be pursuing these if I didn't have multiple individuals telling me that they feel that I rate.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper Guns View Post
    Thanks gents, I will see about having him contact HQMC Awards section and see what can be done. I am in the process of resubmitting for a number of awards including a PH. My command were all hard charging devils and I don't think were too keen on paperwork. However I have signed and sworn statements from Marines that were there, the company commander, and the battalion medical officer. The only thing that I'm worried about is having my name come across the desks of battalion and regimental commanders for multiple awards. I was just a pee-on 0331 Lcpl. Don't necessarily feel like ****ing them off or making them think I'm selfish. I wouldn't be pursuing these if I didn't have multiple individuals telling me that they feel that I rate.
    You're out, I wouldn't worry about that. Nothing they can do. Is your old Lt. still in?....I'd imagine he's a Capt. or a Major now, he would have quite a bit of influence on it if he pushed it.

He's out now. He got out as a Captain I believe. My old CO is a major about to grab Lt. Col. He is the one who wrote my letter for my PH.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Push for it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point.

Best of luck.

Thanks Master Guns, I've reached out to him about the re-submission. We all know the Corps, so it may be a few years, but I'll update everyone on the process for posterity once I know the outcome.

Thread Information