MOS change for my son due to earlier ship date. Does he have to change?
Create Post

MOS change for my son due to earlier ship date. Does he have to change?

First we are a dedicated hard working family and I love my son, but I am concerned.
    Here is the situation. He was signed up with MOS MP which he wants to do law enforcement in the future and ship date of Decemeber.
    They asked if he was interested in an earlier ship date and instead of asking questions, like an 18 year old, he said yes and they moved his ship date to Sept 2 and MOS of Combat Photo.
    Question: He is supposed to go for 30 day update and has not signed anything for MOS and ship date changed yet.
    Does he have to change his MOS and ship date?
    He says he has to and will make the best of it but taking pictures is not interesting to him at all.
    We know he made a commitment but what are his options?
    Please advise if you have info about a situation like this
    Thanks
    Concerned Father in Ohio

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I would PM Huklebuk, a recruiter who stops by here once in awhile. I'll PM him for you also. Then also PM josephd as well.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    and last but certainly not least, PM munkyVsrobot

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    DISREGARD< I just PMd all 3 for you.

What likely happened is your boy's recruiter had someone back out of the DEP and he needs his numbers. Nothing is official until he no-crap ships. Talk to your son. Let him know that unless he gets it in writing, it's not going to happen. If he wants to be an MP, he needs to stick it out and ship on his first agreed ship date. Play a little hard-ball with the recruiter because at the end of the day he needs his numbers. One of the best things I learned during my time in the Corps is nobody cares about your career more than you and if you don't look out for yourself, nobody else will do it for you with the same ferocity.
    If your son isn't 18 yet then you need to co-sign on his contract. Use your parental authority and refuse to sign until your son gets what he wants.
    At the same time, have your son look into combat camera. Maybe it's something that he wants to do.
    Even if he wants to go into law enforcement, he doesn't have to be an MP. More important than any of that he needs to take advantage of the tuition assistance while he's in. Military experience of any kind plus a bachelor's degree (criminal justice is a waste of time) is extremely marketable in the LEO community, especially degrees in business and computers (to investigate white-collar crime or online crime). A very good family friend was on the POST Board back home. When I was looking into LEO jobs, that was the advice he gave me.

Only barely related, OP, every time you talk with your son once he's in (and regardless of his MOS) push college. Don't let him end up like me, a guy who did 10 years in and has absolutely no college under his belt. Push college.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Just by the way, to explore Combat Cameraman, PM a former one, fl1946.
    Frank can give you good info about that

Credits
    Savings
    Marine MP, and Civilian LawEnforcement
    isn't always a "Marriage made in heaven"

I've seen , known, and have met MilitaryPolicemen
    who were not selected for LEO positions in the last
    past 50 or so years.....Most said the hiring authority
    said they rather train what they want, rather than
    Un-Train a Military Policeman to do it "Their-Way"

Military usually had an advantage in the past.
    Now days, I"ve seen and heard that "Higher Education"
    is more desired than Military Experience/desipline.

Call your local police chief, or a Policeman neighbor,
    County Sheriff , who ever wears the tin in your area...

ASK them..

Bye the by, Photography is a KEY police tool.
    especially with professional training and experience.
    Toss in college courses while the son's young.

Al Shabazz i think nailed it on the noggin. Basically the ship date that your son has is tied to the contract that he originally signed (im sure if I am wrong Huklebuk will let us know) they forecast what numbers they need for certain MOS' and depending on when you got the contract and all that jazz determines when they will ship to boot.

now what probably happened is someone maybe not even at his RSS said they no longer wanted to join the marines or maybe something else happened, but in someway shape or form an earlier slot opened up for him but it is for a combat camera MOS and if he wants to go early then hed have to switch his mos inorder to take that slot.

im not sure if combat camera and PAO (public affairs officer) are the same designation but they can do some pretty cool stuff they do go a lot of places. I mean they arent punching hitler in the face or going to be in the next rambo film but they do get into some pretty neat stuff. One recently went with my unit when we went TAD to Pendleton and I got to see some of his work it is really some great work they put out.

but if he wants to go LE or what have you then he needs to stick to his guns and go with his original ship date. He can always ask to see if he can keep the original contract but if the recruiter is telling him he will have to switch MOS' im guessing that is not an option.

What ever happened to "NEEDS OF THE CORPS?"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    What ever happened to "NEEDS OF THE CORPS?"
    Still there. You're guaranteed a general field though.
    OP's son might not be Military Police - he might be corrections.

Aside from that the only time that Needs of the Corps kicks in is for someone who's tricked into signing an open contract (or from the old days - draftees)

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good info----probably more on the way.

If it were me I wouldnt ship early and change MOS. You will be spending the next four years doing something that you didnt want to do. Just wait, unless they can guarantee you the MOS you want, dont ship early. Tell your son that if he has questions he can come ask too. If he cant make the right decision now, what will he do when your not around?

Sorry I'm late. Any updates?

Thread Information