Credit Issues and advice?
Create Post

Credit Issues and advice?

When I was in high school, I scored a 99 on the ASVAB but because I was an unmotived, lazy teenager who didn't care about much except where the party was on friday- I didn't take advantage of the offers made to me by recruiters.

Now, 4 years late, I realize that my life has no direction and no meaning. If I go to school, I am looking at way more debt than I am willing to put myself into. If I don't enlist, I am pretty sure I'll be in the same dead end cubicle job at a call center until I grow roots.

So I've decided on a career in the military. Much to the disdain of my USN-vet parents, I want to enlist in the Marine Corps. I hired a personal trainer who is designing a meal plan/training regiment for me to lose 40 lbs ASAP (we have a goal of the end of October, starting in August).

However, during a period of 4 months of unemployment, I fell behind on a few bills. All together, I am about $3375 in debt. Including 875 to a rent-to-own furniture store (this debt is currently listed as disputed as I asked them to pick up the furniture and they told me fine, and didn't show up 3 times), $1000 in a charged off, unsecured bank loan, $750 on one credit card and $750 on another. Additionally I have a car loan for 9k that is current (my mom is going to take over payments if I enlist).

I am working 2 jobs and moving in with a roommate to save an additional $200/month. I am working with each of my creditors to create a payment plan but most are going to take 6-9 months to pay off. I have my tax deductions down to zero so that when my 2014 tax return comes in, I'll have a lump sum of cash available to hopefully pay off what I have left.

Will my credit effect my ability to enlist? If I am able to show my intention of paying off the debt, will I be able to overcome this? If I settle the debts, it would show on my credit that it was settled. Would this be a drawback or do they just want to see the debt is no longer owed?

I will enlist regardless, even if it has to wait until all the debt has been paid. But I'd like to enlist as soon as possible. Any advice in this would be great.

Thanks!