Tough time with waivers and medical documents - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Another way to wean out the weak before they can even get to boot camp. I understand.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I don't think it's done for that reason at all, Brad----It is just "selectivity gone wild", in my estimation. Selective because of downsizing, and now they can pick and choose, which is fine, but it can get a little maddening when waivers for this and waivers for that etc come to the forefront----in my day--LOL, everyone says this---in my day you joined and went in, period. I dropped out of high school, went in anyway, got a GED two years into my enlistment. Nowadays I would have to have fifteen college credits beside the GED----10 years from now they'll require a Ph.d from Yale or Harvard. I just don't like to see selectivity pushed too far. It results in good would-be Marines being turned away.

This makes sense now. They were accepting non-high school grads in your era. I'm starting to see what I've been up against in these heavy conversations.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    This makes sense now. They were accepting non-high school grads in your era. I'm starting to see what I've been up against in these heavy conversations.
    During all the wars up to Vietnam the only real requirements to get in the service was a pulse...still breathing...and could you shoot.....the Marines gave recruits that could not read remedial classes in boot camp to help with the written tests. In your era and beyond the downsizing of the Marines and the advancement of technology came into play. As soon as this generation left the tit they were hooked up to a modem and keyboard. Technology...higher levels of education are all great.....since most of the war is now fought with technology and science in the battle zone. The one thing that technology and all the degrees of higher learning don't give today....because in reality...one does not need a school book education to be a Marine.....you need something that some in the younger generation are seen today as lacking and that is COMMON SENSE.

Maybe so in today's generation. Say from Gulf War on up. When I went in, I doubt there was much difference in technological advancements as there were during YOUR time. (Vietnam War I presume.) No computers, no cell phones, still the M-16, steel pots, jeeps, sea rations, pric-77. (Entered in 82.) I believe you had to minimally have a High School diploma. Common sense is an individual thing. Some got it some don't.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Bloop, that was a little dig at USMC2571 in post 18 because I mentioned re GED-----this is precisely why Baker and I want 29 to calm down prior to posting. He overheats rather quickly, as seen on other threads.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Overheats is right !!!

He needs those pills you offered Bloop

You guys tend to confuse "OVERHEATING" from "DISAGREEING". You guys sure like to dish it out and that's ok. Just when the jab comes back over your way, don't freak. Le'freaks.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I love jabs....disagreements......playing fook-fook games all of it.....So dish it out on the best Sunday dinner plates....lets invite everybody over to watch a big happy dysfunctional framily disagreement. Captain America can sit at da' head of da' table......as da' honored guest.

premium-captain-america-costume-890513.jpg

Where have I seen this before? Some squad leader's mug I believe.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Take it easy, Prestone.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Take it easy, Prestone.
    No problem there DROPOUT. ooops did I say that? By your own admission, not by mine.. (lol)

I was just thinking. While on the subject, why did you drop out of High School? I know its off topic, but feel free to move it to another thread. I think we'd all love to know. It would be very interesting. Seriously.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    29---"Prestone" was a lighthearted reference to your propensity for heating or especially overheating, hence the need for antifreeze=Prestone being one brand.
    Your use of "dropout" was not in the same vein.

Baker and I have befriended you and guided you here, but you are still combative and have boundary issues. After a mild disagreement you took me, Jimmy and others off your friends list. If you want to pick up your marbles and go home, that's your choice. But every other day you have a minor meltdown here, so you go on my ignore list, the only one put on it in seven years.

Sorry to have offended you. My respects for you as a senior Marine I try to render. Sorry if conversing with you didn't work out. Sincerely wish you good luck.

Thread Information