Tough time with waivers and medical documents
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Tough time with waivers and medical documents

This is my situation. I have been trying to join the Marine Corps for several years now. I am 20 years old and started trying to join when I was 17. I had some medical issues in the past. I had a testicle removed just months after I was born (undescended right). I had childhood asthma which I have since grown out of and had Pulmonary function tests performed on me with completely normal results. The PFT was required by my first recruiter. I also had a innocent heart murmur when I was younger which was under question by my recruiter who sent me to my family doctor. She had me see a cardiologist and receive an echocardiogram in which the cardiologist responded (I don't know why she sent you here? You have a perfectly normal heart).

It seemed as if, because of my increasingly complex situation, that my recruiter lost interest. He was always dodging my calls and finally told me I was disqualified by MEPS, and this is where I lost hope. I don't even think he tried anymore after that. Regardless of this situation, I kept training hard and went to a different recruiter. He quickly got out of the corps on medical leave, and after transferring me to another recruiter in the office, he was rotated out of his recruiting duty.

So now I am with my current recruiter. He has gotten me farther in the process than any other recruiter. I showed him that I could do 20 dead hang pull ups and he was impressed. He has been so proactive in looking through my paperwork and doing what he can do for me. We sent my paperwork to meps where it was denied. My paperwork included medical documents from doctors including my pulmonary funtion test results, testicle operation paperwork and latest doctor evaluation confirming that I am okay in that region as far as strenuous physical lifting, and echocardiogram results from the cardiologist and family doctor explaining how my heart functions normally. We then submitted the paperwork through BUMED including the medical screening checklist with dates and descriptions of all of the above issues except the heart murmur which we forgot to include. They sent the paperwork back as what my recruiter explained as "incomplete/not enough paperwork".

We then resubmitted the paperwork with a revised screening checklist that included the heart murmur, a description of the murmur, and a level of activity sheet as well. This is where I really made myself look good. I included things such as I workout frequently and on a daily basis do heavy lifting at my job.

This is where I currently stand and am waiting on the one to three month BUMED process for the second time with my revised paperwork. I need some outside opinions and guidance from another recruiter which is why I am here. I just completed the spartan race at blue mountain which took an average of 3 hours and I completed it in 2 and a half. I am getting stronger every day and have been wanting this for so long. Joining the Marine is of the utmost priority and I will do what it takes to get there, but am wondering if I am at the end of a long road. Can I go above my recruiter and up the chain of command if things don't happen? I wish BUMED would be more specific. I respect my recruiter and don't want to go above him if it isn't neccessary, but I have read of guys with similar issues who have written to congressman and mayors with successful outcomes.

If you could please give me some of you're time and maybe we can talk more about my situation, I will appreciate your guidance and do whatever it takes to join the Marine Corps.

Similar Threads:

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Just hang in there, These things take time. You have many issues here to get resolved.

At least you are not at the back of the line anymore. If you can't wait any longer try the Air Force.

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate the reassurance, however I was told that you can be disqualified permanently if they reject paperwork several times.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I have to really hold back when posting in this particular section when the subject is about recruiting standards, because I have a nearly uncontrollable urge to talk about how stupid some of these standards are when compared with past eras.

Perfectly good would-be Marines are turned away for extremely questionable reasons.

But let's leave it at that, shall we?

I don't know what to tell you, Brad, but, as Jimmy said, hang in there and be persistent. Maybe if the recruiter keeps seeing your high motivation, others will too.

In any event, please keep us posted?

Credits
    Savings
    After our last meeting where we added the note about the heart murmur to the description area of the medical checklist, my recruiter said something that has stuck with me since. Something along the lines of "Man, your situation sucks and I can't believe how critical they can be to someone who is fully qualified both mentally and physically." I am not going to give up. I'm going to do everything in my power to join even if it means climbing up the chain of command. Maybe even inquiring Navy BUMED directly about the issue. Our meeting occurred on June 16th which is when we filed the paperwork for the second time to be sent back to BUMED which apparently is a one to three month process. Ill ask my recruiter tomorrow if there are any updates and ill fill you in.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    New recruiting poster: "Are you PERFECT? In every way? Then you may have what it takes to be one of us. Inquire within".

Exaggeration? Just barely.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I sent you a PM just now, Brad.

Remember the Marine Corps and the DoD for that matter does what it wants in the time frame in which it chooses. You are on their time not the other way around.

That being said perfectly good candidates who are in similar situations get turned away all the time, individuals who have less problems than you do even get turned away. It is the nature of the beast the Marine Corps is drawing down and they dont need bodies like they used to they have over 4000 Marines competing for just about 400 re-enlistment spots and these are people who have already earned their places in the hall of Marines.

Also think about it from the side of the Marine Corps you have or had a heart murmur, Asthma and also had a testical removed. Any one of these resurfaces and you get hurt some how the Marine Corps has to pay you for the rest of your life which i am pretty sure they have other better places that they could be spending their money on.

So being that you have gotten further than you have before with this recruiter than any other, why kick the bee hive when you could be so close to getting honey?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Actually, Munky is right, as he usually is here. He has good info.
    I keep forgetting that this is not the 190,000 Corps of yesteryear. Why I constantly forget this, I don't know. After all, it IS 2014, not 1963. But he is correct---for better or worse, the Armed Forces are different these days.

What happens is that we all have a very human tendency to see things as we once knew them to be. But Munky is correct----downsizing, selectivity, etc----it's all foreign to those of us who enlisted without a high school diploma and no one thought anything about it----time marches on, things change, society changes, and the Corps changes along with nearly everything else.

Credits
    Savings
    @MunkyvsRobot: You are absolutely correct. I was aware of the cutbacks and was aware that in my situation, even with a never-back-down attitude that is required in the Marine Corps, that the odds may be overwhelmingly against me. It's not anyone's fault and I know I may have came off as being mad at the system, but you are right. It's an even more exclusive brotherhood now more than ever and drives me to want to succeed in joining more than ever.

I will do my best but the biggest obstacle in my way is medical documents. I payed around 70 dollars to obtain my medical documents, and my recruiter received notice from the Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery that the documents he had sent them were insufficient. Now, the documents that I had payed for turned out to be a mountain of paper. They went through three recruiters (One of which wanted out of the Corps) so it's my guess that some may have been lost. I might need to obtain those documents again.

Thank you for being real with me.

it is an unfortunate set of circumstances, but it wouldnt be the few and the proud if they let everyone in. Also remember there are other branches in which you might be able to serve, the Marine Corps is not the end all be all if service to your country is your goal you can try elsewhere.

There comes a point in everyone's life we can't achieve some of the goals we set for ourselves for whatever reason. You didn't "fail" as much as the criteria the Marine Corps required just didn't match your qualifications. That's not failure, Brian. That's life. This is not going to be your last "mismatch"; there will be many others in your life. Guaranteed. The best fall back is to know that you tried, then move on. You just learned another life lesson. You may not be in the Corps but we welcome your support of the Corps. Good luck on your future endeavors.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Very well said, Frank---this is not the same Corps we were in--I honestly do keep forgetting, when it comes to selection, retention etc. In our day, if someone wanted to join, they joined----if they wanted to stay in for 20, they did, absent any major problems. But nowadays it's just as hard to stay in as it is to get in. Completely different picture. Why I keep forgetting this, I don't know.

Credits
    Savings
    To everyone who was responding, I have some news on my situation. My recruiter's exact words were "I just checked on your waiver and it has moved up a level to our District HQ so that is a good sign". I am taking the ASVAB next Thursday. I was supposed to get my MEPS physical tomorrow but it was a bad time for my recruiter and he canceled it. I was going to get my physical because I needed a certain form I think the 2807 B. After the physical I would have to submit my waiver again but he said it would be a quicker process. Regardless, I am taking the ASVAB and have about a week to study. I took the actual ASVAB in tenth grade which was held at my school by an ex army guy and scored a 76. I appreciate all the feedback even though some of you I imagined would have sounded like drill instructors with some of your responses haha. I'm keeping my chin up. Have a good night gentleman.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Brad, nowadays there's a lot to go thru before you even get to boot camp! Unbelievable.....keep us posted here, please. Good luck.

Thread Information