Prior Service Enlistment Options?
Create Post

Prior Service Enlistment Options?

I am a combat decorated NCO 0311 still in the IRR that wants to re-enlist into active duty. Anyone know a Prior Service Recruiter who will not just try to put me into a reserve unit to meet a quota and will actually help me get back into active duty or have any advice?

I saw a recent MARADMIN about options for prior service members who want to re-enlist that even offered bonuses but I have yet to meet a Prior Service Recruiter who is interested in helping prior service go back active duty.

I want to re-enlist and lat move into the intelligence field. After my Honorable separation from active duty, I began immediately working overseas as within paramilitary operations for various government agencies. The money is great but it is not where I want to be. There is no brotherhood or ability for advancement into other fields.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi.

Similar Threads:

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Gee, combat decorated, even if they weren't taking many people in nowadays, I should think theyd be more than happy to have you back.
    I think I've heard that its difficult to get back in. Easier to stay in

Quote Originally Posted by WARFIGHTER View Post
    I am a combat decorated NCO 0311
    That piqued my interest to check your profile but....

Good luck on your quest.

Carry on...

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Your location is given by you as Kabul, so you must already be back in.
    Congratulatns I knew HQMC would not stand for a combat decorated individual to stand on the outside looking in for vry long

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    retention rates are like zero right now, especially in the 03 field. even if you can find a PSR to get you back into the fleet I can almost guarantee you won't get back into the infantry.

sad part is the Corps is moving on from the OIF/OEF days and has no need for "combat decorated" NCOs. They keep the few around in B-billets and such to train and instruct but other than that it's all about hitting the reset button and training newbies for whatever may come next.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    ex. We have a new join at my unit that was turned down for reenlistment, was a tracker/AAV guy. 4.7/.4.7 Corporal, PME complete up to Staff, multiple deployments, NAM with a V, and CAR, cert. comm., etc....

his only option to stay in on active duty was to be a recruiter or drill instructor, they had no way of keeping him around in his MOS because of the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    Your location is given by you as Kabul, so you must already be back in.
    Congratulatns I knew HQMC would not stand for a combat decorated individual to stand on the outside looking in for vry long

No brother, I currently work in Afghanistan providing diplomatic protection for the Department of State.

I do not intend to go back into the Marine Corps as an 03. My intentions are to go back in as a 0211 CI/HUMINT and work under the Marine Special Operations Support Group.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    ex. We have a new join at my unit that was turned down for reenlistment, was a tracker/AAV guy. 4.7/.4.7 Corporal, PME complete up to Staff, multiple deployments, NAM with a V, and CAR, cert. comm., etc....

his only option to stay in on active duty was to be a recruiter or drill instructor, they had no way of keeping him around in his MOS because of the numbers.
    Hell, I would do Drill Instructor duty. That is an incredible honor to forge new Marines and a very prestigious position.

Quote Originally Posted by WARFIGHTER View Post
    I do not intend to go back into the Marine Corps as an 03. My intentions are to go back in as a 0211 CI/HUMINT and work under the Marine Special Operations Support Group.
    When are you returning CONUS and where will you be? I think you need to contact a PSR assigned your area. I have been working with mine for a bit over a year.

Late post here but you wouldn't need a PSR for that. You would have to find a regular recruiter to put in a PSEP package. All you can do is try and they say no. PSR's are strictly for the reserve side. I'm working with a PSR as we speak. I'm sure it's tight for PSEP's right now but anything is worth a shot. I see u mentioned MSOSG. Would you not be interested in attempting MARSOC from the reserve side. Last I heard reservists can still apply and are actually pretty successful at making it through since we have a little more "freedom" to plan our own pt schedules and in some instances provided different skill sets.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpl1142 View Post
    Late post here but you wouldn't need a PSR for that. You would have to find a regular recruiter to put in a PSEP package. All you can do is try and they say no. PSR's are strictly for the reserve side. I'm working with a PSR as we speak. I'm sure it's tight for PSEP's right now but anything is worth a shot. I see u mentioned MSOSG. Would you not be interested in attempting MARSOC from the reserve side. Last I heard reservists can still apply and are actually pretty successful at making it through since we have a little more "freedom" to plan our own pt schedules and in some instances provided different skill sets.
    this!.....MARSOC is actively seeking Marines from the reserve side

I want to say joseph is trolling but im not sure...

Its not a good job of trolling if it is. I dunno if they actively seek reservists but I do know they are eligible to apply. Actually you can apply while you are in IRR. I know of an individual who got out and went to MARSOC while on his 4 years of inactive duty aka IRR.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    I want to say joseph is trolling but im not sure...
    hahahahaha....no, I am not trolling at all. MARSOC has been/is making a big push for reservists to put packages together to get in. Straight from a Col.'s and a recruiters mouth, reservists(POGS especially) are easier to train as operators being that they(we) have not developed any bad habits. One thing also they look for in candidates is maturity and the ability to think critically, not just be a "yes man". Average age of reserve NCO's is a few years older than the AD counterpart, many with more real life skills and educations.

I put in a package for selection last month but was not selected, I was not able to pass the physical because of medical/disability claims I have with the VA.

Thread Information