Linguist
Create Post

Thread: Linguist

Linguist

Hello Marines:

I am in the process of enlisting in the USMC. I am 24 years old and have just finished the MEPS physical. I require a medical waiver for my ankles, which is quite bizarre since I have never experienced an injury there. I am just below the standard for flexing my ankles, but it's not an issue according to the MEPS doc. She said it is a routine waiver and almost always gets approved and assured me not to worry, so things are looking good. I done well on the ASVAB, but I still need to take the DLAB. My recruiter said that I can take the DLAB once I receive the approved medical waiver, which I hope I receive.

I am strongly interested in enlisting in the linguist MOS, however, I am quite confused on what to ask for when it comes time for job selection. I have done searches all throughout these forums as well as the rest of the internet and I'm still not clear on what to ask for. I have read that some websites say that you should ask for the 2600 career field. Other websites, like wikipedia, tell you to ask for the 2700 career field.

To make this simple, this is what I want to do, so maybe you can point me in the right direction:

I want to attend DLI and learn the language, the long training that takes like 48-63 weeks and become fluent in the foreign language. Is the cryptologic linguist and simply "linguist" career field two completely different MOS's? Or is it just one? I understand that I may not get to choose my language and it will be based on the needs of the Marine Corps, I just want to make sure that I'm choosing the right career field. I read on the DLI website that you can come out with an AA degree as long as you have some college done. I am currently a nationally registered paramedic and have been working in EMS for 6 years. I have about 52 college credits done, so I feel like I will be able to obtain the AA degree with no problem, as long as I pass the school at DLI, of course.

Thanks for all of the input.

Morgan

Similar Threads:

I think that the 27xx is the language designation for MOS 26xx. There are a few on this board that might be able to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    I think that the 27xx is the language designation for MOS 26xx. There are a few on this board that might be able to clarify.
    Devilbones2:

Thanks a lot for the information. I think you're right. I think that when I enlist and in DLI, I will be 267x, but when I finally get qualified in my language (if I pass), then it will change to 27 something.

Thanks,

Morgan

I believe it all falls under a DD contract, but Huklebuk should be able to clear that up when he swoops through

For those that are still reading this post, I spoke with my recruiter today. To be honest, I am very skeptical at what he told me, but I don't want to call bs until factual confirmation. I told him that I really want the linguist job and if I perform well on the DLAB, could he guarantee this job? I know about the "wish list" of 3 jobs and should be prepared to take another job, however, he told me that they no longer guarantee the linguist career field.

He further explained that linguist now falls under the intelligence career field and that you may or may not get selected to perform linguist training. He said I could get stuck doing something else in Intel. This all sounds very sketchy to me, but again, I acknowledged and respected him, but feel it necessary to do my own research. If what he said is indeed true, then that has just changed the game quite a lot. I'm all about being a Marine and understand that this should be my ultimate priority, but I am also realistic. I'm 24 years old, have done a lot of college, and have been a paramedic for 6 years, so I don't want to just jump in the unknown, sign a random contract for 5 years, and hate every minute of my life doing something that I don't want to do - Marine or not. If anyone has anything to add to this or can confirm what he is saying is false or not, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Johnathan

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    "Done a lot of college ?". What the hell does that mean ?

"Done a lot of college" means that I have completed a lot of college credits, meaning around 84, so I am about 1 academic year from finishing a bachelors degree. In addition, I already have an associate's degree in Emergency Medical Science.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    The United States of America and so the Marine Corps, will never be what it used to be. Years ago a young man or woman joined in order to be a Marine. Of course there were MOSs. But no one knew what they were, there was no Internet to squeeze every available ounce of information out of, no one who could answer questions.

People joined the Marine Corps to become Marines.

They had absolutely no say or choice in what job they would be assigned.

No one was fearful of doing something they didn't like. There was no endless Celebration of Self. The younger generation has no idea what I'm even talking about, hence it becomes even sadder to see the enormous difference between then and now.

"The United States of America and so the Marine Corps, will never be what it used to be. Years ago a young man or woman joined in order to be a Marine. Of course there were MOSs. But no one knew what they were, there was no Internet to squeeze every available ounce of information out of, no one who could answer questions.

People joined the Marine Corps to become Marines.

They had absolutely no say or choice in what job they would be assigned.

No one was fearful of doing something they didn't like. There was no endless Celebration of Self. The younger generation has no idea what I'm even talking about, hence it becomes even sadder to see the enormous difference between then and now."

Joseywales:

I completely understand where you are coming from, although I haven't served in the military. I come from a heavy military family background and have lived on several military installations. I agree that people no longer join the military because they want to serve their country, but you also have to consider the fact that times have changed and so has our government.

No matter how you try to spin it, the military is a business. When I was younger, I viewed the military as being an organization that any able bodied citizen that wants to defend it's country should be granted the opportunity to serve. As a young man, I looked forward to serving my country. However, what I have found out is that it is simply a government business that is out to protect itself and it's own political agenda. In my experience, you actually get penalized for being a citizen in good standing that believes in your country. My own government is continuing to slap me in the face and turn me away, although I have been fighting every chance I have got to serve. As stated previously, I have been trying to enlist for 6 years - this is a lot of persistence, yet I keep getting shot down.

This process has really matured and showed me the true colors of my own government, but has left quite a distaste in my mouth, which is why I'm not signing just anything. If I can't even trust the integrity of the process for joining the military I'm serving, I'm certainly not going to just sign something at random. I don't believe in deceiving anyone and this is exactly what my recruiter and the MEPS process is doing to me. MEPS even admitted to me that they made a mistake and they failed to clean it up and I keep getting fed inconsistent BS. I'm starting to realize that this whole honor, courage, and commitment slogan is simply a marketing gag. I know that there are great Marines that are serving and veterans and I have nothing but the highest respect for them, but not every Marine is going to exhibit those ethics, yet they will be allowed to continued serving because the government don't want to do the work to push them out, clearly. These Marines eventually become leaders and impose their deceit and false motivation on them and it is a continuous cycle.

I have been a paramedic for 6 years and at no point have I intentionally deceived or lied to any of my patients. I don't believe in this "false motivation and false hope" bs that I'm being fed.

In reality, our modern day military, economically, can't afford to let everyone in, so it has created a filtering process to only let certain people in it's club. Unfortunately, the current filter system is a fail and simply doesn't work. Our military stance has also changed tremendously since the Reagan times. We are placing more of an emphasis on technology verses traditional "big army" battles. Why send 20,000 troops to storm a beach when we can use technology and call in strategic air strikes? This means that the demand for bodies is going to diminish and military funding is going to get cut, so the military is more picky now than they ever have been in the history of our nation.

As a result of this, potentially strong applicants are getting turned away from serving their country over ridiculous reasons that are completely unjustified. Everytime I go to MEPS they find a pseudo problem, paperwork gets lost, recruiters screw up paperwork, and it is a massive failure. Never have I seen such an inefficient process as the government. The VA system is also a failure. We have troops coming back from overseas receiving inadequate care, paper trails are forged and lost, and this is an extreme disservice to our veterans. At the end of the day, the government is going to do what it wants to, which is poor business. The days of our military protecting the sovereignty of our nation and having pride in traditional American values are quickly coming to an end and this is extremely unfortunate. This government is out to protect itself, not it's people, so the people are starting to get a sour attitude toward this.

There are guys in the military right now that cannot successfully pass a PT test, joined just for the benefits, yet they got pushed through the MEPS system because they were found "physically qualified". However, you have a guy like me that has always wanted to serve his country and exhibits exceptional morals, highly educated, and has strong ambition, yet I get disqualified for a supposed ankle problem, even though I have never experienced any ankle injury in my lifetime. I work full time in EMS, PT regularly, and did competitive gymnastics in high school. This is what our system is creating, it is promoting poor quality citizens to join the military and the overall quality is on a rapid decline as a result of this. At no point in my military process have I been asked "What does the military mean to you"? What does serving your country mean to you?

The "weakening" so to speak of our military is a direct result of corrupt politicians and significant government changes over the years. In your time, simply requesting to join the military because you wanted to serve, regardless of medical/moral problems, granted you the opportunity to serve. In today's time, I am personally experiencing a flawed process in trying to enlist in the military. I think that the filtering system that the government uses to screen future protectors of our freedom is a complete failure.

Regards,

Johnathan

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, of course, of course. **sigh**

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Forget the " Marine Corps ".
    With a post like that you should be in Politics and make a real differance.....

Thread Information