This is my first post, but I have spent a lot of time trying to find out some more about an AJ contract, and more specifically MOS 7251/7257, Air Traffic Control. I have been bouncing around over the course of the past 2 years but all roads seem to lead back to the Marine Corps, and I am now ready to make it happen. However, despite my research, I still have some unanswered questions and hope that there may be some Marines that can help me out. I am hoping this isn't redundant, but so far have not quite been able to find the answers I am looking for.

I am very interested in pursuing Air Traffic Control. I know that the closest I can get is the guaranteed field of Aviation Operations, encompassing 7236, 7242, 7257 and 7314, which is okay. My primary question is whether or not there is anything that I can do to increase my chances of selection for 7251 as I come out of boot camp. I scored a 98 on the ASVAB, and am not sure exactly what my GT score is but was told by my recruiter that is is "ridiculously high." I would like to know if there is anything that can be done to express that, out of those options, I would strongly prefer Air Traffic Control, or if there is anything that I can do while in boot camp to increase my odds of selection for that specific MOS.

I am also wondering about daily life in other Aviation Operations MOS's. One of my other goals during my term of enlistment is to be able to complete my degree. From my understanding, Air Traffic Control should provide enough of a work/life balance to be able to accomplish that goal. I am wondering if the other occupations in that field would also provide the time to be able to complete my degree in the course of my enlistment. If anybody has experience in these fields and can provide some insight into daily life and job duties, as well as civilian careers that the skills of the other MOS's in that field could translate into, it would be greatly appreciated! About.com has been helpful, but I am still left somewhat unclear about the actual responsibilities of the other jobs I may be assigned to.