Do I have a chance at joining the Marine Corps?
Create Post

Do I have a chance at joining the Marine Corps?

Hello everyone. The title itself basically asks the question I would like a answer to: Can I join the Marine Corps? Before I go further, let me give you some background regarding this question, I am a 16 year old male, so there is plenty of time to think about this decision. My mother was a marine who was in the communications field I believe, her father was in the Army and so was his father. The problem I have is that I am legally blind in my left eye and my right eye has no peripheal vision, so I have what is known as "tunnel vision" Other than that issue, the only other concern I might list is asthama? I would consider myself in pretty good shape as I lift weights and attend Wrestling practices daily. Now, as I stated above, I am only 16, so there is still time to change my goals in life, however, I have very strong hopes towards this one. I have spoken with recruiters for ALL branches and they basically told me they didn't know if I could join or not.
    So, I want your input on my situation here! (Sorry it's a long read)

Similar Threads:

Huklebuk is a recruiter on here and should ultimately be able to answer it for you.

My question to you would be what do you mean by legally blind? does it mean you have really bad eye sight in the eye, is it really blind is it correctable?

Also you might have asthma? Do you or dont you. Have you seen a doctor about it? you mention this stuff to a recruiter they are going to want documentation, not that you shouldnt mention it to him/her but a lot of these questions could be asked of you when you go see a recruiter.

you might want to PM huklebuk, and ask this he is the resident recruiter, but my first impression would to say they would not accept you (DQ), but I have been wrong before, they are getting more and more picky because so many want to join that they are being very selective..

Hello, I appreciate your quick responses and @MunkyVsRobot, legally blind is a way of saying that person isn't totally blind, but can see out of it, just REALLY bad. I wear glasses, and due to my legal blindness, my brain focuses most of the power eye wise into my right eye,strengthening it, but in order for me to really use the left one, I have to manually turn both my pupils left ways in order to see stuff on the left side of my face.

Also, yes, I have been diagnosed with asthma as a result from other health related concerns that have happened in the past.

Have you ever fired a rifle with a scope before? If so, did you hit the target consistently? Asking because the rifle you'll have to qualify with will have optics (scope) attached to it. You must qualify in order to graduate bootcamp.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    If you have a diagnosis of being legally blind that is a DQ.

Best of luck and health to you.

Thread Information