Go through Reserve Program or wait?
Create Post

Go through Reserve Program or wait?

I am currently a college student entering his 2nd year. I recently met with a recruiter to talk about the 92 day reserve program in order to get a headstart in the marines.

I dream to become a Force Recon marine and was hoping I could get a UZ option on my contract to at least get the chance, but am not sure if this is available under the 92 day program.

If not, I was wondering if being in the Reserves before switching to active duty after graduating (potentially trying to get into OCS) would hinder my chances of getting the chance to try to get into RIP/BRC as opposed to simply enlisting after graduating.

I got a 92 on the practice ASVAB and I could easily get a perfect score on PFT. I'm just not sure if not trying to get into RIP/BRC is possible/difficult to get into if you don't get in right after finishing boot camp and SOI.

Similar Threads:

Many people want to be in recon so it's tough to get in. If you live close to a recon reserve unit, you can enlist and get a shot. There are no guarantees because you have to pass the training. However, being recon doesn't mean you would later get the mos if you become an officer. I saw prior intel and recon Marines get stuck in non combat arms MOSs. You MOS selection as an officer will depend on several factors such as class standing, instructors' opinions, etc.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    there is no "switching" to active duty from the reserves. even reenlisting into active duty is almost impossible with retention rates being so low.

if you want to be active duty recon then go talk with a recruiter about going active duty and wanting to be recon.

and if OCS is something you have in your sights and you're already in college, do not enlist(active or reserves). all it will do is slow you down in the career path you want.

BRC is definitely doable after bootcamp/ITB, thousands of Marines have done it in the past. You just have to be prepared for it, mentally and physically.

Thread Information