How to improve my 3mile run and pull ups. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    I think its doable for this guy to lose 35 pounds. In the Marine Corps, they'll keep your weight down after PTing and running here and there to go to the barracks, PX, out in the field ect...The pull up part of it should come hand in hand with losing the weight. If you got the will, you can do it. Keeping it off shouldn't be that hard once in. They won't let you gain it. You'll be doing PT every other day.
    when was the last time you were on active duty in the fleet?.....with the more "relaxed" fleet life now(fear of being charged with hazing, discrimination, hurting feelings, etc.) PT with most units is only done like twice a week and you can't single out Marines to get them in shape anymore. I have seen it a few times. Add to that, all the fast food and junk food available on base and at the PX....it's a bad combo.

Remember his age here too....27 is not the same as 21, huge difference in metabolism and how well you recover from PT/workouts.

I am not saying it's impossible, just improbable. And I'd rather not see some wannabe become another disgruntled terminal lance who had to get out because he couldn't hack it physically only to bad mouth the Corps like it was our fault.

I refuse to feed these wannabes delusions of grandeur into false realities. The Marine Corps means way to much to me and while I understand this is just an online forum to ask these kinds of questions as a Sgt of Marines it is my duty and responsibility to weed out anyone who I think can't hack it. If and once they become a Marine then it is my responsibility to train him and get him where he needs to be.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank u Marines for all the positive and negative comments. I will keep you updated on my progress. I again appreciate the feedback.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    you can't do one single pull-up??......that's sad

Here is my honest opinion based on your current fitness level, age, and height/weight.......

don't join the Marine Corps!

at 27 years old with your height and current weight, getting down to what you need to be and stay their is going to be EXTREMELY hard.

I commend you for wanting to serve your country and be a Marine but based on what I am picturing in my head....it just isn't meant to be. And if what I am picturing is even close to being correct if you do make it in, through boot camp, and onto the fleet your life is gonna be miserable as a 28-30 year(and very likely being out of height/weight standards)

Appreciate the feedback sir!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I think its doable for this guy to lose 35 pounds. In the Marine Corps, they'll keep your weight down after PTing and running here and there to go to the barracks, PX, out in the field ect...The pull up part of it should come hand in hand with losing the weight. If you got the will, you can do it. Keeping it off shouldn't be that hard once in. They won't let you gain it. You'll be doing PT every other day.
    This is all wrong. Life in todays Marine Corps is not like what you think it is.
    They won't push you. If you don't make weight standards then they will push you, right out of my Marine Corps.

Did you hear about the downsizing and only taking the best of the best and only keeping them also ?

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    when was the last time you were on active duty in the fleet?.....with the more "relaxed" fleet life now(fear of being charged with hazing, discrimination, hurting feelings, etc.) PT with most units is only done like twice a week and you can't single out Marines to get them in shape anymore. I have seen it a few times. Add to that, all the fast food and junk food available on base and at the PX....it's a bad combo.

Remember his age here too....27 is not the same as 21, huge difference in metabolism and how well you recover from PT/workouts.

I am not saying it's impossible, just improbable. And I'd rather not see some wannabe become another disgruntled terminal lance who had to get out because he couldn't hack it physically only to bad mouth the Corps like it was our fault.

I refuse to feed these wannabes delusions of grandeur into false realities. The Marine Corps means way to much to me and while I understand this is just an online forum to ask these kinds of questions as a Sgt of Marines it is my duty and responsibility to weed out anyone who I think can't hack it. If and once they become a Marine then it is my responsibility to train him and get him where he needs to be.
    Whoa. You mean PT isn't like every other day? How do you stay in shape with PT twice a week? All I was implying is that this guy hasn't even made it up to the horse and you seem to be shooting him off the saddle. I understand your concerns being in the field, out in combat, you want someone in tip-top shape. Did you consider that this guy may not go infantry and the Corps could use his skills elsewhere? I thought 27 was still prime age to join. Considering the cutoff for the USMC is 27 for active duty and 29 for reserves last I looked. I say, its possible to whip this guy up into shape, considering he meets the min requirements, and from then on, the Corps keeps his butt in shape. I figure in the Marine Corps, he'll have little choice once he gets through boot camp.
    Can't we give this guy a chance?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Whoa. You mean PT isn't like every other day? How do you stay in shape with PT twice a week? All I was implying is that this guy hasn't even made it up to the horse and you seem to be shooting him off the saddle. I understand your concerns being in the field, out in combat, you want someone in tip-top shape. Did you consider that this guy may not go infantry and the Corps could use his skills elsewhere? I thought 27 was still prime age to join. Considering the cutoff for the USMC is 27 for active duty and 29 for reserves last I looked. I say, its possible to whip this guy up into shape, considering he meets the min requirements, and from then on, the Corps keeps his butt in shape. I figure in the Marine Corps, he'll have little choice once he gets through boot camp.
    Can't we give this guy a chance?
    PT schedules vary quite a bit depending on the unit and their op-tempo. I know of a few that only do Platoon/Sqd size PT twice a week. Everything else is on your own.

I see what you're getting at and usually I would agree but I see to many guys joining right now in their mid to late twenties trying to ride the coat tails of alot of us OIF/OEF vets....and to be completely honest I am tired of it.

I am not saying it isn't possible to do what he needs and make it, I am just saying it's highly unlikely and would rather not see him or any others become a disgruntled terminal lance corporal because they couldn't hang.

I could go off on a much bigger rant about this exact subject but I will leave it alone.

Thread Information