I would like advice from Marines that joined in their mid-20s
Create Post

I would like advice from Marines that joined in their mid-20s

I am 24 years old, almost 25, and in the DEP program. I have my Bachelor's degree in finance and a well-paying job in accounting. It has always been my dream to try to become a Marine and I am finally going through with it. I do not care about the pay that enlisted personnel receive, happiness is more important than money. After speaking with many friends and a few recruiters with a broad spectrum of military experience, I decided that I would pursue becoming an enlisted infantryman in the Marines. I also have a pipe dream of trying out for Recon, a FAST company or Scout Sniper, depending on what I am actually good at it. I am aware that these things are down the road, and very hard to achieve. I scored a 99 on the ASVAB, passed the IST and PT every single day. If there are any Marines out there who joined in their mid-20's, especially in the infantry, please share your experiences with me. Were you treated much differently than the majority of the group who is younger than you? I appreciate any help, thank you.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I didn't join when I was in my 20s, BUT after being here on this site for years, I've seen the subject come up time and time again as to just what constitutes "older" recruit, and from all I've seen and read, age 24 is very young compared to the folks who went in in their late 20s.

I don't think you would be treated any differently in boot camp at age 24. It is not a drastic age difference like you may be thinking.

If you do word searches here in Ask A Marine, you'll see countless threads like this, and taking a look at them may help you feel more at ease.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    (Plus, there will hopefully be some other people chiming in here who did in fact go in at that approximate age. Just give it some time, they'll eventually wander in here.)

(For something like this I'll actively seek out some folks I know, as well).

Thank you Sir. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Very glad to do it---we all need assistance of some kind at one time or another, our whole lives.

One of my friends who is on active duty at Camp Lejeune said he will be able to come on here and take a look later on. He started out in this section too, like you and so many others. Not all that long ago.

Thanks for the reference, USMC2571!

I joined when I was 22 years old. I just graduated from college and caught the "Marine Corps bug" after speaking to my ROTC friends in college. I would recommend considering the Commissioned route for your case, simply because you can serve at a higher capacity with your maturity and education level. From my experience, the Marine Corps right now needs good leaders more than good troops. There will always be a consistent flow of "young blood" from high school, but mature men and women from college? Not as much. The only reason why I went enlisted was because I wasn't a citizen at the time. And though I have not regretted my decision once, I do sometimes wonder how much more I could have offered if I were commissioned instead. You said you want to be a grunt and perhaps Recon or Scout Sniper? Great, but definitely consider carefully. I'm not here to disappoint you, but these highly coveted jobs look attainable from the outside... until you join and you realize how crazy good these Marines are. Heck, I don't even enjoy running the regular PFT and these guys do 20mile runs on the regular! Also, definitely consider transferring your existing civilian skills into the Marine Corps. Consider being a Supply Officer and take charge of battalion-sized operations. Yes, you won't be punching and jabbing like the grunts, but you will make a considerable difference with your service.

My two cents. Hope this helps.

heres what you can expect, I went to Parris Island at the age of 27 right now because i am in a relatively slow promoting MOS i am a 30 year old lance. The only thing you can expect is to be treated like everyone else, except you will be expected to bring more to the table being that you are older. You may be treated more like an adult than your peers when you hit the fleet if you pick up your job fast become proficient and carry yourself as an adult. Remember though you are still a recruit then after you earn the title you are then still a junior Marine so even though you may be 24 25 there are those who are the same age as you even maybe some a little younger than you who are appointed over you and you will have to do whatever they order you to do.

My SgtMaj once said if you are coming to the table with a full plate then have a seat, if you are coming with crumbs get the **** away because there is no room for you at this table.

Thank you all for your replies and help

Thread Information