Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Infantry

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

The Infantry

Hi everyone...

I have a question.

I know there has been alot of other question regarding glasses and stuff, but Iīve looked trough the whole Poolee forum and didnīt get an answer to if an Infantryman could have glasses or contact lenses.

I really want to be an Infantryman, but I wonder if an Infantryman can have glasses or contact lenses?

Thank you

Jimmy

Credits
    Savings
    I know a sniper who wears glasses, lol. I'm just about 100% positive that you can wear glasses.. I believe your eyesight can't fall past a certain point though. I'm NOT too sure what that point is. My future MOS is an infantry one, 0351 - Assaultman, and I wear glasses.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You are correct glasses aren't really an issue in the grunts. Contacts can be a pain in the butt, because they are hard to take care of in the field. They do have those new disposable ones now like my daughter wears they are disposable and you can just carry an extra pair with you in case you lose one. Glasses do tend to shine and reflect light at night contacts don't.

Glasses are not an issue. I have been in glasses for 20 years. Just make sure you have your gas mask inserts. I have been an 0351 and then an 0369 fo my entire career as a Marine.

Registered User Free Member dagoose's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Glasses are no problem my best friend wears glasses and were 0311. It would be wise to wear glasses in the field rather than contacts. Contacts are to much of a hassle in the field.

Credits
    Savings
    I have a good question that's been bugging me for a while. If you wear glasses, I know that you're assigned a pair of BCGs for bootcamp.. those big clunky 'ol things.

When you leave bootcamp, though, do glasses have to meet certain requirements of any type? Do you still have to wear the BCGs or a varient of, or are you able to wear your own? ((Granted of course that it's not a rediculous frame style))

I've been pondering that for a while..

I've read the answer to this before, but maybe not here. What it boils down to, as I recall, is that when you're on duty, your frames have to be fairly conservative (unless they're neon green on the sides or something equally stupid looking, you're probably good to go there), and they can't be those funky ``auto-shading'' lenses that get darker when exposed to stronger light. You do *not* have to wear the BCG's outside of boot camp, if I understand things correctly. However, it strikes me as common sense that it would be a good idea to pick a pair with sturdy frames when you're out in the boondocks, and for that the nearly-indestructable BCG's might be a good call. When you're not on duty, pretty much any glasses are okay (in other words, yeah, it's fine to wear a weird pair of glasses to a halloween party with your girl).

From what I've read and been told, codes for non-uniformed dress in the Marine Corps boil down to common sense and moderate conservatism. When you're not in uniform, as long as you're shaved, have a recent haircut, and are generally squared away in the hygene department, and you don't dress yourself up to look like a moron or a criminal, you're probably good to go. A good litmus test once you get through boot camp is to look in the mirror in the morning and ask yourself, ``Do I think I represent the Marine Corps well with what I'm wearing today?'' If the answer is ``yes'' then you're probably fine unless someone tells you otherwise. For glasses, you'll definitely know what's appropriate and not.

Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by PooleeCross
    the nearly-indestructable BCG's might be a good call.
    *laughs* nicley worded. Yea, it strikes me as common sense to pick up a pair of thick-rimmers for deployment and things like that. No sense in bringing some dainty calvin kleine "I'll break in a stiff wind" glasses into someplace where they won't survive.

Thanks for the feedback though, amigo

Credits
    Savings
    hi

Thanks to you all for making this clear to me...
    I really appriciate it

Thanks for the help

Happy New Year to you all

Jimmy

Registered User Free Member BC22's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Bring your BCs to MCT or ITB. You'll be out in the field a lot at School of Infantry and your NCOs will reccomend you wear those frames.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I know you have to wear glasses during bootcamp, but could I wear contacts during graduation if I got them mailed to me that week? Any info greatly appreciated.

If your DI allowed you to keep them, I would be shocked. If they actually showed up your last week there I would be surprised. If you still think this is important once you ae at Recruit Training I will be floored.

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    O.K. Goggles. you will wear what ya got when you get to boot, then when you get your buddy holly's you will have to put up the GQ's and wear the butt uglies. In ITS, or whatever they are calling it these days, you can wear what you want as long as you don't look like Elton John.

Haha elton John

Credits
    Savings

Smile

Hey CA,how come you didnt list Cathlic School girls in your Bio, MAIL CALL

Thread Information