Advice for a Wannabe Marine
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Advice for a Wannabe Marine

Greetings Marines,

I'm currently about to start my second Semester of my Sophomore year of College. However, Recently I've been feeling like I should be doing something else with my life.

I've always wanted to serve my Country since I was younger. However, when High School came and went, I was pushed to go to college, and to be quite honest, I wasn't in the shape to join anyways.

At the beginning of last semester I started thinking that maybe I could join the Marines. I can always go back to school after my enlistment is up, and I'm not getting any younger. I have this sinking feeling inside that if I do not serve I will regret it for the rest of my life.

So I started running and cardio every day last semester, and I went from 325 pounds in Feburary, to 270 as of right now. I have some more to lose. I'm 6'4 Just for reference.

I'm conflicted as to what should be the proper course of action for me to take right now.. I plan on finishing the up and coming semester, but I'm not sure when would be the best time to talk to a recruiter.

I still am too big for the Marine Corps', but i'd like to get the ball rolling ASAP.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, Marines.

P.s.

The degree i'm pursuing is Criminal Justice. I'd like to work with the Federal Gov. one day, and I believe prior service would do me some good as well as having my degree.

Similar Threads:

Finish college, finish college, finish college. I did the whole 'I'll do college after the Corps' thing and now I regret that decision because I never went to college after. I should have gone to college before joining the Corps.

Your degree will also give you better options in the Corps including OCS. Don't quit college
    to join. The Corps will still be here when you graduate.

That will also give some time to get yourself into the shape you want to be before joining.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the advice, Marine.

A little more info, Currently I am completely dependent on my Parents. I've pretty much had my life planned out for me by them. I feel like I'm living someone elses life. I'm not very passionate about anything i'm studying, and am pretty much going through the motions making average grades. I'm wanting to make a decision on my own for once. However, I'm not wanting to join as a way to "Rebel" I've always wanted to serve since I was young.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a whiny *****, just givin as much info about my situation as possible.

I did go back to school after I got out of the Corps, so if you have the passion it can be done, if you are serious about joining the Marine Corps, then, by all means, talk to a recruiter and He or She will give you your options, I don't know how old you are, but the Corps has an age limit of 29 for enlisted but I am not sure what the age limit for Officers is, but I know it is younger, I believe, so that is something else to think about..

best of luck to you,, keep us posted as to what you come up with..
    Pat

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Finish College !!! The United States Marine Corps isn't going anywhere.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Finish college! You can get laid in college...graduate....enlist in the Marines...graduate.....and continue to get laid....best of both worlds....and you'll have a diploma and a uniform!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Finish college! You can get laid in college...graduate....enlist in the Marines...graduate.....and continue to get laid....best of both worlds....and you'll have a diploma and a uniform!
    Well, Since you put it that way.. Hahaha.. Thanks for the advice Marine!

Credits
    Savings
    Just another quick question.

At my weight, Would a recruiter even entertain talking to me?

Thanks Marines!

Yes. If you show commitment and drive, they will work with anyone who will help themselves first.

That is, unless you have some certain legal troubles. But you don't seem to have those? Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    My record is clean as a whistle. I think showing that I've lost well over 50 pounds in pursuit of my goal would be a could testament to how serious I am about it.

Thanks for the advice, Marine!

Thread Information