Looking for info from dads time in nam and understanding his dd214
Create Post

Looking for info from dads time in nam and understanding his dd214

Looking for help trying to figure out my dad's dd 214. Basically my dad never talked to anyone about his time in the service or in nam and I just want to know more of his life.

I know he enlisted Aug 3, 1961 I believe if I am reading it right he reported to Parris Island S.C.

His name is Willie H Jones and if you met him you could never forget him. I know he was part of the 3531 code MTRVEHOPR. The rest of his dd 214 I just can not make sense of.

It says he was part of the SupBn, 4th FSR, FMF, USMCR. From this point all I know is he served 3 tours of duty in nam, but my mom can not recall what years he was there.

She believes the last tour was in 68 cause it was after I was born. If there is anyone here that can explain all the Marine abbreviations to me I would greatly appreciate it.

And if there is anyone here that remembers serving with him I would love to chat with you. This and many other parts of my dad's life he kept to himself and I do understand why he did so, but growing up and now that he has passed I just feel like there is so much of him I know nothing about.

I have seen pictures of him and a few of his buddies with a spider monkey that became very attached to them. He talked fondly about that monkey, but that is basically all he talked about.

Towards the end in late 66 he and my mom were both relocated to Hawaii that is were I was born on a military base. Both my mom Nancy LaRose Jones and dad were Marine's.

Though both of them left service in 1970 I was raised with a great love and respect for all who served, are still serving, and those still yet to serve.

I am not here to open wounds for anyone, but if you can talk to me I would be blessed to learn more. I thank you in advance for your service and your response to my request to learn more about the man I called Dad.

I miss him dearly and just want to fill in some of the blanks. Thanks from a grateful Marine Daughter with love for all of you.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 05-23-14 at 05:45 PM.

If I remember correctly 3531 is Motor Transport.
    SupBn could be Support Battalion or Supply Battalion
    4th FSR, FMF, USMCR. 4th Force Service Regiment, United States Marine Corps Reserve.

This is the best I can do for you. Good Luck.

You will need to send for his full (SRB) Service Record Book this will tell you every thing he did in the Corps. Make sure you ask for his full SRB or they will send you another DD214. If you need help just PM me

Ken
    Aug. 08, 1961

Thank you for your help. I will eventually understand all the military terms I hope lol. I also want to thank you for your service to our country. Having two parents that were Marines it nice to talk to and thank you all for your service and your families service.

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-23-14 at 05:45 PM.

Again thanks for all your help. I feel with each one of you that I get to speak with I learn more. I guess that is the quest of my journey. Thanks for your service and your families service. Old Marine and Ken

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-23-14 at 05:48 PM. Reason: If you are going to text to the forum, please learn how to text.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    FYI...you have 2 threads going on this...
    Makes it easier for people to help you by using only ONE thread..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fixed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Here Kid

National Personnel Records Center
    1 Archives Drive
    St. Louis, MO 63138
    Telephone: 314-801-0800
    Fax: 314-801-9195
    E-mail: MPR.center@nara.gov

Riven37 I just sent out the forms to them last week. I am hopeful that I sent the correct paper work. It's funny no one but my dad ever called me hey kid. It's nice to think at 47 I am still a kid lol. I hope this finds u well and I would like to thank u and ur family for ur service. I greatly appreciate it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You're welcome kid, in my world the use of kid is a compliment meaning youth, young; I have no family left.

Quote Originally Posted by redtruck View Post
    Riven37 I just sent out the forms to them last week. I am hopeful that I sent the correct paper work. It's funny no one but my dad ever called me hey kid. It's nice to think at 47 I am still a kid lol. I hope this finds u well and I would like to thank u and ur family for ur service. I greatly appreciate it.

Thread Information