Marine Corps Recruiter told fiance to lie?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Angry Marine Corps Recruiter told fiance to lie?

My fiance is currently trying to enlist in the Marine Corps. We have a 1 y/o son and the recruiter told him not to say anything about him having a son at MEPs because it would take longer time since he would need a waiver. So he didn't. I looked through his papers and saw he had put down that he had no dependents relying on him. Now I'm worried his recruiter screwed him over. I know he can get in a lot of trouble for lying. However he was not sworn in because of a physical problem which he will need a waiver (its minor and will most likely go through). The recruiter had also told us it would be better to wait till after boot camp to get married because once again he would need a waiver and it will slow down the process. Is my fiance screwed? Will he be able to change what he had put down? I just learned that single parents cannot enlist period. Thank you for your help

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 05-17-14 at 09:22 AM.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    There is an active duty recruiter that frequents the Ask A Marine forum he may be able to give you some insight. Also in the same forum are some threads about having a child and not married about giving complete guardianship so the potential recruit can get a waiver to enlist. You may want to PM that recruiter his screen name is Hulbek. Good luck!

I have yet to understand why some recruiters tell lies or tell their enlistees to lie. I've never heard of any rule that says single parents can't enlist. I've known single parents in the Corps and as long as they could prove their child was taken care of during times that they're away, they had no issue. Why that information would slow down the MEPs process I don't know either because it's just a physical screening which if passed becomes contract signing and taking the oath of enlistment. In my opinion honesty is always the best policy and if according to paperwork he has no dependents then; 1. he doesn't get dependent allowances in his pay, 2. his spouse and child will not have medical issurance, 3. he will have no consideration when getting orders to his first duty station. Often this doesn't matter anyway but sometimes married Marines are not sent to some duties, for example a 3 year unaccompanied (no dependents) tour in Okinawa. Added to fact that lying on enlistment paperwork depending on the severity of the lie can mean separation from the Corps at the Corps' discretion. My recommendation would be to change his paperwork and be honest. Whatever the reason for the recruiter's recommendation I can't all but guarantee that his motivation is whats good for him, not whats good for your husband. If the recruiter stonewalls him then he needs to speak to the NCOIC (Non-commissioned Officer In Charge) and get things straightened out. I had to do this myself because of an issue and it's not pleasant but if it needs done it needs done. Best of luck to you and your future Marine. "Semper Fidelis"

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you I will look around for him.

Tell your fiancé that he doesn't want to start out in the Marine Corps as an integrity violator. Better to tell the truth now, and wait for the waiver, than to lie and be discharged later because of it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Agree. Disclose everything !!!

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-17-14 at 06:19 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you everyone. He had told him that he would need to sign his rights and give me full custody which would be a quick fix. However he failed to mention that he would be unable to gain custody back until reenlistment. Basically meaning that our son would receive no benefits. Scum Bag.

The child is still his responsibility even if he doesnt have custody of him. he should still be able to get him into DEERS and all that jazz. but as it pertains to the signing over custody i do believe that is legit they need to make sure someone is full time taking care of that child. but he kinda screwed himself for taking what the recruiter said as the word of god.

PM sent to OP.

Thread Information