Could I get some opinions on my decision with NROTC?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Could I get some opinions on my decision with NROTC?

I'm new to this forum and I apologize ahead of time if I make any mistakes. I would just like to explain my story and get some opinions on my decision.

I got the Marine Option NROTC scholarship in December. In late March, I was denied at every school I applied to. (I applied to the UC's and Cal Poly). Quickly, I sent appeals to all the schools and I also found a school still available with NROTC: University of Arizona. One by one, my appeals were denied, and I eventually committed to UA. Recently (6 days ago), UC Santa Barbara approved my appeal, and I got in for Mechanical Engineering (my intended major). However, it doesn't have a NROTC unit.

Many people say take the scholarship to UA; it is almost a full ride, but unfortunately it's not that simple. I have great financial difficulty, so I receive large amounts of financial aid if I attend a school in California. With the aid I receive, the cost of going to UCSB without a scholarship is actually cheaper than the cost of going to out-of-state UA with scholarship. I also wouldn't have to live far away from home or pay extra for plane tickets every time there's a break. In addition, I also factored in that UCSB Engineering is 19 in the nation and the overall academics is far ahead of University of Arizona. Education is very important to me, but at the same, I really want to become a Marine Officer. For 5 days and 5 sleepless nights, I kept comparing the two opportunities. I tried to get advice from friends, family, and teachers only to have an even split in opinions.

I came to the conclusion that aside from having NROTC, there is nothing I like about University of Arizona. I hate the weather, the location, the type of students, and the fact that I have to pay more to get a lower quality education. In my mind, I won't have to deal with any of these dislikes at UCSB and I can also apply for PLC. As a result, this is the plan I chose.

Some NROTC midshipmans have told me I am very stupid for throwing away such a prestigious scholarship and the chance of becoming a Marine Officer. When I informed the Captain in charge of NROTC applications about my decision, she just sounded so disappointed in me. I also feel sad that I spent 2 years working hard for this scholarship and now it's gone. I keep wondering whether I made the right decision or not, but I know if I have chosen UA, I would probably question whether I should have gone to UCSB instead.

I'm so sorry for the length of this post, but could anybody please give me their opinion of this decision and what they would've done? Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

Not taking the scholarship won't keep you from becoming a Marine Officer, you have to make the best decision for your financial options to make sure you get an education. Get the best education you can and then apply to be a Marine Officer. For that matter you can enlist in the reserves while your in school and then apply for OCS once you've finished your education. That would open up a lot of options like the G.I. bill. Most of all don't let anyone else's "dissappointment" discourage you from your goals, ever! Some of the best officers I ever served with were mustangs, Marines that served enlisted, got there educational degree, then applied for OCS. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    I'm new to this forum and I apologize ahead of time if I make any mistakes. I would just like to explain my story and get some opinions on my decision.

I got the Marine Option NROTC scholarship in December. In late March, I was denied at every school I applied to. (I applied to the UC's and Cal Poly). Quickly, I sent appeals to all the schools and I also found a school still available with NROTC: University of Arizona. One by one, my appeals were denied, and I eventually committed to UA. Recently (6 days ago), UC Santa Barbara approved my appeal, and I got in for Mechanical Engineering (my intended major). However, it doesn't have a NROTC unit.

Many people say take the scholarship to UA; it is almost a full ride, but unfortunately it's not that simple. I have great financial difficulty, so I receive large amounts of financial aid if I attend a school in California. With the aid I receive, the cost of going to UCSB without a scholarship is actually cheaper than the cost of going to out-of-state UA with scholarship. I also wouldn't have to live far away from home or pay extra for plane tickets every time there's a break.
    first I lived in AZ. for 10 years before moving back to Mi., so I understand Az... the education rankings are put up with different, IMO, non realistic variables,, and Az is not that far from California, my Daughter was stationed in Cal. and she used to drive home on a 72 hour pass, or holiday,, so it is not like it is across the world (like She is now)
    also you have to figure how long your schooling is, Marine officers age limits are different then enlisted, so check into that as well..

In addition, I also factored in that UCSB Engineering is 19 in the nation and the overall academics is far ahead of University of Arizona. Education is very important to me, but at the same, I really want to become a Marine Officer. For 5 days and 5 sleepless nights, I kept comparing the two opportunities. I tried to get advice from friends, family, and teachers only to have an even split in opinions.

I came to the conclusion that aside from having NROTC, there is nothing I like about University of Arizona. I hate the weather, the location, the type of students, and the fact that I have to pay more to get a lower quality education. In my mind, I won't have to deal with any of these dislikes at UCSB and I can also apply for PLC. As a result, this is the plan I chose.
    how ever I do agree that the valley is stinks, ( I lived in the mountains in St. Johns) and the people down there seem to be weird to me..lol
    Some NROTC midshipmans have told me I am very stupid for throwing away such a prestigious scholarship and the chance of becoming a Marine Officer. When I informed the Captain in charge of NROTC applications about my decision, she just sounded so disappointed in me. I also feel sad that I spent 2 years working hard for this scholarship and now it's gone. I keep wondering whether I made the right decision or not, but I know if I have chosen UA, I would probably question whether I should have gone to UCSB instead.

I'm so sorry for the length of this post, but could anybody please give me their opinion of this decision and what they would've done? Thank you for your time.
    ultimately it will be up to you to decide, what you want worse, as was said you do not have to go to NROTC to become a Marine officer, but there maybe age variables' that will work to your advantage that you might not otherwise get, not to mention other knowledge about the Marine Corps that you will not get at the other college,
    It really depends on what you want most..

good luck,, keep us posted..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only thing I am really reading is negatives about U of A and positives about UCSB.

Do not worry about NROTC. Start your education and see an OSO. he will guide yopu on your path to becoming a Marine Officer.

It seems that you have already made up your mind and just want some backing up on your decision.

IMHO this is the best way to go.

Best of luck to you.

Thread Information