Oh my god! What have i gotten myself into?!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oh my god! What have i gotten myself into?!

May 15, 1967 exactly 47 years ago today I stepped onto the yellow footprints and started my 11 1/2 years in the Corps. What a day that first day was. Getting off the bus somewhere around midnight, getting a haircut, processing through a few stations and about 0400 we were told to hit the rack. No sheets or anything, just told to lie on the mattress. We woken up about a hour later and taken to chow in our civilian clothes. We were, of course, subject to the taunts of those that were already in uniform. No matter how far along you were in boot camp, you were senior to anyone still in civilian clothing. After chow we came back and were picked up by our DIs. Platoon 173, 1st BN....the training was on. All I could think that morning was, "OH MY GOD! WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?!"

ITR at Geiger....Comm Center School in San Diego...Nam in 1969, ending up Gunny in 1978 just before I got out. Long time ago and it seems like yesterday.

Sempher Fi!

Congratulations Bill. Amazing how those memories stick.

absolutely,,, congrats.... I remember saying the same thing...lol

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats Bill. 37 years for me June 19th.

I still vividly remember that first reveille in the receiving barracks ... there was no trumpet, but a bunch of metal shiit-cans! It will be 39 years for me come August.

49 years ago what a night mare but after WOW I made it and still alive.

May 19 will be 60 years for me.

Amen, brother Bill! I feel like a boot, it's been 30 years tomorrow (May 17) since I landed on those yellow footprints at Parris Island, but boy do I remember it!

Those first few days in receiving until our platoon was picked up seemed like a nightmare, and then we really got into the fun. Every minute was worth it, though, every single one!

Happy anniversaries to all - Semper Fi!

William, I graduated the end of March 67 from PI, 3rd Batt., right before you got there. Congrats on the memories, boot.

53 years Aug. 20

Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post
    All I could think that morning was, "OH MY GOD! WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?!"
    oh yeah Guns...good story.

I think it was early evening when I hit the yellows on 9/1/65 and began experiencing the vocal welcoming from the DI's.
    I remember standing there in terror saying to myself repeatedly:
    "'what the fvck have I done!"

Of course, I realized later in life that it was one of the best decisions I made.

IMO....to serve in the Brotherhood of Marines (especially the combat arena) is a privilege that few will experience.
    We are the 1%'ers in this country who do understand.

Carry on....

46yrs ago for me. I look back and seem to only remember bootcamp. S.D. Nam is a haze!

40 yrs for me Sept 18. My DI had my undivided attention!! We learned about your military right foot. I still don't know who those ladies were. Got sent to one day mot because no one had screwed up yet, but someone had to go. Lots o mud! We were lunch for some voracious sand-fleas on Paradise Island.

Wow, I feel like a boot. It has been 27 years for me. I am a 3rd generation Marine, so I knew all too well what was going to happen on those yellow footprints, however, I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Thread Information