Marine Fake
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Fake

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Fake

My oldest daughter (23) is dating a young man who claims to have served in the Marines and saw combat in Iraq in 2010.

His details of his service seems to change from week to week.

I have a feeling that he may have not served at all. Is there some way to verify his story? I have his full name and year of birth, but that's about it.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 05-15-14 at 06:55 AM. Reason: No personnal info on an open forum. Use the PM function.

I can try and help you out. It may take a few days as I'm deployed and I've gotta relay the info back to a buddy stateside, but I should be able to find out for you whether or not he's legit.

or you could ask him if you could see him discharge papers,, or ask him what unit he was with and then bring the info back here, and we could let you know if it is:::
    A) a legit unite or
    B) if it went to Iraq..

and if he doesn't have a discharge certificate to show ask him when will he get it and if he is still in IRR, and if he doesn't know what that is then he has a lot to explain...lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Remember the Supreme Court said there is no law against faking service or calling oneself combat veteran while warring decorations unless it is to defraud the Federal Government like the VA System to obtained a claim for disability then you're in trouble. I don't like seeing this either but it show his weak character as a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Doerre View Post
    My oldest daughter (23) is dating a young man who claims to have served in the Marines and saw combat in Iraq in 2010.

His details of his service seems to change from week to week.

I have a feeling that he may have not served at all. Is there some way to verify his story? I have his full name and year of birth, but that's about it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Good scoop!

If you find out he's lying please beat the ever loving **** out of that kid! That crap absolutely infuriates me.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    More good scoop!

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Remember the Supreme Court said there is no law against faking service or calling oneself combat veteran while warring decorations unless it is to defraud the Federal Government like the VA System to obtained a claim for disability then you're in trouble. I don't like seeing this either but it show his weak character as a human being.
    Actually there is a law against Stolen Valor courtesy of President George W. Bush. Its called the Stolen Valor Act of 2005 but mainly focuses on people claiming they have received awards or medals that they did not receive. I'm sure this phony is claiming some type of medal or award, especially if he is claiming combat experience.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One Hundred Ninth Congress of the United States of America AT THE SECOND SESSION Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday,
    the third day of January, two thousand and six
    An Act
    To amend title 18, United States Code, to enhance protections relating to the reputation and meaning of the Medal of Honor and other military decorations and awards, and for other purposes.
    • Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

• This Act may be cited as the `Stolen Valor Act of 2005'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

• Congress makes the following findings:
      • (1) Fraudulent claims surrounding the receipt of the Medal of Honor, the distinguished-service cross, the Navy cross, the Air Force cross, the Purple Heart, and other decorations and medals awarded by the President or the Armed Forces of the United States damage the reputation and meaning of such decorations and medals.
        (2) Federal law enforcement officers have limited ability to prosecute fraudulent claims of receipt of military decorations and medals.
        (3) Legislative action is necessary to permit law enforcement officers to protect the reputation and meaning of military decorations and medals.

SEC. 3. ENHANCED PROTECTION OF MEANING OF MILITARY DECORATIONS AND MEDALS.

• (a) Expansion of General Criminal Offense- Subsection (a) of section 704 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `manufactures, or sells' and inserting `purchases, attempts to purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports, exports, produces blank certificates of receipt for, manufactures, sells, attempts to sell, advertises for sale, trades, barters, or exchanges for anything of value'.
      (b) Establishment of Criminal Offense Relating to False Claims About Receipt of Decorations and Medals- Such section 704 is further amended--
      • (1) by redesignating subsection (b) as subsection (c);
        (2) by inserting after subsection (a) the following:
      `(b) False Claims About Receipt of Military Decorations or Medals- Whoever falsely represents himself or herself, verbally or in writing, to have been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the Armed Forces of the United States, any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration, or medal, or any colorable imitation of such item shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than six months, or both.'; and
      • (3) in paragraph (1) of subsection (c), as redesignated by paragraph (1) of this subsection, by inserting `or (b)' after `subsection (a)'.
      (c) Enhanced Penalty for Offenses Involving Certain Other Medals- Such section 704 is further amended by adding at the end the following:
      `(d) Enhanced Penalty for Offenses Involving Certain Other Medals- If a decoration or medal involved in an offense described in subsection (a) or (b) is a distinguished-service cross awarded under section 3742 of title 10, a Navy cross awarded under section 6242 of title 10, an Air Force cross awarded under section 8742 of section 10, a silver star awarded under section 3746, 6244, or 8746 of title 10, a Purple Heart awarded under section 1129 of title 10, or any replacement or duplicate medal for such medal as authorized by law, in lieu of the punishment provided in the applicable subsection, the offender shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.'.
      (d) Conforming Amendments- Subsection (c) of such section 704, as so redesignated, is further amended--
      • (1) by inserting `Enhanced Penalty for Offenses Involving' before `Congressional Medal of Honor'; and
        (2) by striking paragraph (2) and inserting the following:
        `(2) CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR DEFINED- In this subsection, the term `Congressional Medal of Honor' means--
        • `(A) a medal of honor awarded under section 3741, 6241, or 8741 of title 10 or section 491 of title 14;
          `(B) a duplicate medal of honor issued under section 3754, 6256, or 8754 of title 10 or section 504 of title 14; or
          `(C) a replacement of a medal of honor provided under section 3747, 6253, or 8747 of title 10 or section 501 of title 14.'.
    Speaker of the House of Representatives.
    Vice President of the United States and
    President of the Senate.

I think all of this stolen valor has to deal with claiming medals and combat ect for personal gain. It's protected in speech. If I go and claim in a bar while drinking I hit the beaches of Iwo in 1945 and got a shoot load of medals, they can't do anything except ridicule you or make fun of you, but if I put that on a resume or re-arrange my dd-214 or even buy medals and show them off, yea, that is stolen valor

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    I think all of this stolen valor has to deal with claiming medals and combat ect for personal gain. It's protected in speech. If I go and claim in a bar while drinking I hit the beaches of Iwo in 1945 and got a shoot load of medals, they can't do anything except ridicule you or make fun of you, but if I put that on a resume or re-arrange my dd-214 or even buy medals and show them off, yea, that is stolen valor
    True, but most of these phonies do act like something they are not to receive special privileges, money, or recognition they do not deserve.

Credits
    Savings
    Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act for military medals

June 28, 2012 | 7:30 am

Stolen Valor Act Repealed

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...alor-law-.html
    **There's a link to L.A.Times article

The Supreme Court voted 6-3 to repeal the Stolen Valor Act.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down the Stolen Valor Act, which made it a crime to lie about receiving military medals.

By a 6-3 decision, the high court said the right to lie about medals and military service, while unattractive, is protected by the 1st Amendment.

The decision came in the case of Xavier Alvarez, a former member of the Three

Valleys Municipal Water District in Southern California. Alvarez had claimed he was a former Marine and recipient of the Medal of Honor; in fact, he had never served in the military.

Alvarez, a resident of Pomona, was sentenced to three years probation, a $5,000 fine and community service. His attorneys appealed; the 9th Circuit of Appeals upheld his appeal, and the Department of Justice appealed to the Supreme Court.
    The law was passed by Congress in 2005 and signed by President George W. Bush. It called for a possible one-year prison term.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post

I agree, I thought it was about making monetary gains....

Although, many would love this, it would be ridiculous to be locking up everyone that walked into a bar and used language to make themselves feel 10 feet tall. Don't you think prisons are full enough and murderers and rapist set a free because of overcrowding in prisons? Now you want to throw these stolen valor types into prison for running their mouth in a bar? It's best to catch them in their own lie and expose them right there in the bar so everyone can ridicule them.

Credits
    Savings
    GAWD....

There's plenty of us on here, that don't need
    to go search for "WannaBe's, pretenders',
    posers, and just PlainOutA$$holes...

I'm more akin to think less of a man,
    the more he talks about himself.

Thread Information