Is being an MP a good route to be a LEO, FBI or DEA after Marine Corps?
Create Post

Is being an MP a good route to be a LEO, FBI or DEA after Marine Corps?

My son has joined the Corps and is scheduled to leave for Parris Island in December and want to be some form of LEO, DEA, FBI etc after the Corps and I wanted some feedback from actual Marines that have gone that route or know vets who have done that and if it makes sense. I like to believe his recruiter but wanted some additional opinions. Just trying to be a good dad and help and support my son.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 05-01-14 at 09:41 AM.

Being an MP will not greatly benefit him but it also will not be a hindrance either. I'll do my best to explain.... This is going to have some length to it...

When someone imagines the proverbial FBI/DEA/NCIS/ATF "Agent" the job they are envisioning is Federal job code 1811 - Criminal Investigator/Special Agent. For a position like this, military service with an honorable discharge will benefit your son by giving him a 5 point veteran hiring preference which will enhance his odds of moving past the usajobs.gov computer screening system and for job selection. His MOS however will have less of an impact as his education (Bachelor's degree required for 1811), his character, integrity, financial stability, criminal background, and job history. These positions are highly competitive and even more highly coveted. Here on the DC JTTF a large majority of our 1811's from the various federal agencies are prior military and have backgrounds ranging from infantry and gunners mates to utilities and administration from the various branches. Most of the prior Marine feds I work with are former infantry. That's less a markup for their background as it is a reflection of their personality and values. And of those guys, most started out in local law enforcement to build their resume before successfully moving into an 1811 position. A direct USMC equivalent that WILL benefit him would be for him to bust his ass and lat move into the CID MOS when he is eligible. Both CID and Counterintelligence (0211) have joint billets available with NCIS, FBI JTTF, and a few other positions where those Marines will attend the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center and acquire the military equivalent of Federal 1811 training and job code.

In regards to other federal law enforcement positions categorized as 1801 - General Inspection, Investigation, Enforcement and Compliance, 1896 - Border Enforcement, 0083 - Police Officer a background as an MP can benefit him greatly. These are generally badged and credentialed weapon carrying positions. With these positions a background as an MP will display less a history of law enforcement as it will his understanding of chain of command, understanding and enforcement of regulations, and a foundation upon which other agencies can build upon.

As for local/state/regional law enforcement it will depend upon the various agency. Most agencies actively recruit honorably discharged military irregardless of MOS but I assume many agencies will appreciate his MP background.

There are not keys to kingdom but my recommendation to your son would be:
    - Stay out of trouble! No NJP's!
    - Bust your ass continuously, not just to maintain your reputation but the work ethic you create will become ingrained in you and will become your "default setting" for when the go gets rough
    - USE YOUR TUITION ASSISTANCE TO COMPLETE YOUR UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION FOR FREE!!!

Seriously, education is becoming everything these days and we turn down dozens of truly exceptional prior service candidates because they don't have their formal education completed! Use that TA to complete as much as you can without letting your duties slip. You'll be much better off doing as much as you can and using that awesome Post 9/11 GI Bill to finish a bachelors and complete a M.A./M.S./J.D. etc that burning it all up on an undergrad.

I apologize for the length of my response but I hope this helps. For now focus on being a stellar Marine and the rest will come. Best of luck to your son. I wish him the best.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great response Zach. Thank you for taking the time Brother !!!

As someone who was an MP and is now a cop, no, being an MP won't help him enter the law enforcement profession any more than any other MOS would.

Tried to edit the above post to add this but I guess I type too slow, lol.

In my professional opinion the things that make former Marines great cops are the intangibles. Integrity, work ethic, punctuality, obedience to orders, fitness, uniform standards...all these things honed to an edge by a stint in the Corps make one a desirable candidate for an agency to hire.

The thing is, the job of Marine MP and civilian Police Officer are two very different things, but there are a lot of the same personality traits that are desirable for both.

I know two guys that came back from Iraq/Afghanistan and both were not accepted in the police force here in Houston.  If they don't want you, they will find a way to fail you.  These guys are combat proven, still no dice.  It depends on what you say in the interview too.  I recommend at least a two year degree for the police force.  CIA, FBI, they want college graduates.  Take your GI bill and go to school after MP's.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    I know two guys that came back from Iraq/Afghanistan and both were not accepted in the police force here in Houston.  If they don't want you, they will find a way to fail you.  These guys are combat proven, still no dice.  It depends on what you say in the interview too.  I recommend at least a two year degree for the police force.  CIA, FBI, they want college graduates.  Take your GI bill and go to school after MP's.
    To be clear, by no means was I trying to imply that being a jarhead means you;ll be a hoe in for an LE job. It's a tough row to hoe by any measure, and like anything else worthwhile it takes some talent, perseverance, and sometimes a lot of luck to make it happen. I got pretty lucky getting in where I'm at. Luckily the right people noticed me working my ass off at the right times.

Straight to the point no.... I was a Fed. for 5 yrs and my MOS when I was in was 0311/Infantry with 1st LAR BN. When I went into the Feds I went through training and worked with many other agencies. It was funny too! I met other Marines, Soldiers, College bookworms, and those who went to grad school. A lot of those bookworm grad school folks whom had no military exp. one day happened to see a hiring form out in the world and apply. Now its harder than you think though and does require a deep background investigation and hiring process. But to answer your question with my opinion. I think it would help your son out in the long run if he wanted the law enforcement route after a 4 year term. My advice to you would be to tell him to seek out a local officer(in job field he wants) in the city your in ask for some personal time and ask if he could tell your son the good and the bad of the career choice.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Go to school and get a degree first. Criminal justice sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Go to school and get a degree first. Criminal justice sounds good to me.
    I'd actually stay away from a CJ degree. It's kinda useless at a street cop. My advice to rookies who ask me what type of degree they should get? English Writing or English Composition, something to do with writing and telling stories. A HUGE part of any job in Law Enforcement is writing reports. The better you can convey yourself on paper, the more effective you are going to be in the courtroom. Being articulate, clear, and concise is very important in this line of work.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    My sister is a prof. at a college and has a PHD. in criminal justice and is the dept.chairwoman.

She places more students than you can shake a stick at in local, state and federal LE jobs all around the country.

Believe me when I tell you that even thought you are a LEO, top brass wants the education and so does the city or town in the jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    My sister is a prof. at a college and has a PHD. in criminal justice and is the dept.chairwoman.

She places more students than you can shake a stick at in local, state and federal LE jobs all around the country.

Believe me when I tell you that even thought you are a LEO, top brass wants the education and so does the city or town in the jurisdiction.
    I agree that I'm an anomaly. Detective in 6 years with no degree, yeah, that doesn't happen often nowadays and has a lot to do with being both lucky and good.

I was referring to CJ being less than useful for a street cop. The academy and a couple years on the job will teach you most of what you will learn with a CJ major. Why waste money getting an education that you would get for free once hired? That's why I suggested getting an English degree or failing that something to do with Psychology or Sociology. Those are skills that won't be taught by experience on the street, and the way we articulate ourselves on paper is the difference between a good cop and a great cop.

Also, like you said, every Tom, Dick, and Harry coming into LE work has a CJ degree. It's certainly not a bad thing to stand out from the crowd a little and have a good answer prepared for why you've done so. I know CJ is the popular choice for kids coming up who want to be cops, but in my experience the things they learn while getting a CJ degree aren't as useful to them on the job as you would think they'd be.

Thread Information