What is the Marine Corps doing now?
Create Post

What is the Marine Corps doing now?

Sorry if this sort of thread is already posted, I couldn't find it.

Anyways, what is the Marine Corps doing around the world these days? Are Marines still deploying to Afghanistan? Are most/many Marines going on "deployments" to South Korea, Japan, Philippines, Australia etc... now since things are winding down in Afghanistan to my understanding?

What will I probably be doing my first couple years in the Corps if I graduate Boot Camp this January like I'm supposed to? I have an infantry contract btw.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The Marine Corps is going back to expeditious Naval root by deploying on MEUs(Marine Expeditionary Unit) in order to have a presence all over the world. There is a big emphasis on the Korea/China/Japan area due to some unsettling business in that area. If you go to an infantry unit it could vary quite a bit but you will do all the same things every infantry unit does.....train to go to war. Weapons shoots, field operations/exercises, combined arms exercises, out to sea periods, etc, etc....as well as ALOT of down time playing cards, video games, working out, eating chow, cleaning weapons for hours on end, standing in formations for even longer.....

Well, that's what I like to hear! Maybe the Marines will be used the way they were meant to be used in the next big conflict.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Back to the Cold War days.
    Get in, get the job done, get out.

No more 13 year Ground Wars !!!

That sounds a lot more appealing. I'm glad I'll be getting in when I am.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    it sounds as if you are expecting our nation and the Marines to be going to war with someone soon......don't count on it.

Who, me? No, I don't really think so. Just a lot of politicians saying stupid things and showing off military prowess.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    but what I explained that you'd be doing sounds more appealing??......ok, have fun with that. I can guarantee your attitude will change after a few months in the fleet with no real opportunity to deploy.

I just have no desire to deploy to the Middle East and do whatever it is they're (Marines) doing right now over there. I'd rather be doing amphibious training like the Marines are supposed to do. I have different things in mind than most guys who sign up for infantry, I think... Also, you're right, formations are gonna suck.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    so here's a question....if we go back into a ground conflict in the Middle East, say Iran, what are you gonna do?......

It's pretty naive to say you have no desire to do anything one way or another, just by the nature of the Corps you could potentially go anywhere and everywhere...I'd stay away from those kind of opinions

I see what you're saying, but that's not exactly what I meant. I'm willing to go anywhere the Corps wants me to go. I'll be happy to do whatever they need me to do. But, if I had the choice (which I obviously won't), I'd rather do what the Marines were bred to do from the very beginning and be an amphibious force and fight conventional battles. I'd rather do that than spend nearly a year in the middle of a desert in the middle of nowhere, doing patrols all day, looking for IED's, getting shot at by people dressed like civilians hiding in a bush a quarter mile away, etc.. you know what I'm getting at.

It's not like one is funner than the other or cooler, that's not what I'm saying.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToDie View Post
    I see what you're saying, but that's not exactly what I meant. I'm willing to go anywhere the Corps wants me to go. I'll be happy to do whatever they need me to do. But, if I had the choice (which I obviously won't), I'd rather do what the Marines were bred to do from the very beginning and be an amphibious force and fight conventional battles. I'd rather do that than spend nearly a year in the middle of a desert in the middle of nowhere, doing patrols all day, looking for IED's, getting shot at by people dressed like civilians hiding in a bush a quarter mile away, etc.. you know what I'm getting at.

It's not like one is funner than the other or cooler, that's not what I'm saying.
    ok good, and agreed...I've been there, it sucks

Thread Information