Age Waiver Question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Age Waiver Question

First thanks in advance for any replies. I'm currently 23 years old. I can't immediately join the Marines due to having only a GED. Instead of just getting the minimum credits I am considering getting an A.S. degree before I attempt to join. I am also considering joining the National Guard while in school to help pay for it, because when I was younger I went and screwed it up where I can't get any federal aid. My question is by the time I get out from the NG (8 years I believe) will I be eligible to join the USMC? I would be around 31 or 32, maybe 33 depending on how things pan out. I'm also confused as to weather or not you can join with a child, somewhere I feel like I've read that you cannot join if you have a child of a certain age or something along that line. If someone could clarify that for me as well it would be very appreciated.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I highly doubt you will get an age waiver at 32-33 years old. That said, that is more than 8 years from now so who knows.

Trust me when I say though that you are not going to want to join the Marine Corps and be a 32 year old PFC and possibly be pushing your mid to late 30s and be a LCpl. Especially after serving in the Army NG and picking up a little rank.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Are you married and have a child or are you just the babys father right now ?
    It makes a differance when it comes to dependent waivers.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks. Yeah I was assuming 32-33 as a worst case scenario...from what I have been reading I think 31 is the oldest they will allow an age waiver for prior service, but I don't know for sure. Anyone know about enlisting with a child?

Credits
    Savings
    I'm un-married and the child is currently un-born. We are planning to get married soon.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats to you but it really doesn't matter at this point. You have a GED which isn't going to cut it for the Marine Corps and are thinking about joining the National Guard and going to College.

Seems like you have this one figured out all ready with your research but time and age is not on your side.

You have to decide weather you want to be a Marine or not and do what you have to do.

No problem having a child but you will need the waiver.

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks. You asked if I was married though, what is the difference there?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Another dependent.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for all of the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I highly doubt you will get an age waiver at 32-33 years old. That said, that is more than 8 years from now so who knows.

Trust me when I say though that you are not going to want to join the Marine Corps and be a 32 year old PFC and possibly be pushing your mid to late 30s and be a LCpl. Especially after serving in the Army NG and picking up a little rank.

Morri896,

It not as bad as you think, as long as you do what is expected of you things will be fine.

Don't worry about the age , listen to those who have experience in the Corps.

I would say find out how many college credits you need with that GED to get in the Marines. It once was 15 credits and you leave in the fall. You can continue going to college once you settle down at your first duty station.

Since you stated you wanted to get a degree, go for an Associate then continue for the Bachelor once active duty.S

Strength and Honor,
    CEYA!

Thread Information