One month out, only fear is swim qual
Create Post

One month out, only fear is swim qual

Hello Marines,

My ship date is 20140414, less than one month away, although my recruiter said I am a backup shipper for next week, so with a little luck even sooner. I have never been more motivated in my life than in this month alone and I am counting down the hours until I hit the yellow footprints. In my opinion I am as ready for boot camp as I can be.

My only fear is the swim qualifications, more particularly, treading water. Over my time in the DEP I have had swimming lessons from different instructors and I am fine on the swimming part, treading water is my only downfall. I sink like a stone and can tread water for only like 1 minute doing techniques like the egg-beater etc, I just feel so negatively buoyant.

I left one of the instructors confused by how perfectly I was doing the technique yet stilling falling under shortly. To try and keep things short I eventually ended up hitting the pool occasionally and practicing different things myself, I have come to one way where I can tread water/float and it is not the prettiest but I am hoping it works.

If I lay my whole body in water, head back to the point where my nose and lips are basically the only things sticking out of it I can tread water for as long as I need. Is this acceptable at boot camp? If not do you guys ( Marines ) have any tips?

Thank you.

-Carlo N

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 03-18-14 at 10:07 AM.

Don't worry about it. There will be some who can't even do what you can in the pool. They want you to pass and you will keep trying till you do (you will get individual instruction if you need it). The typical recruit says they worried about it for no reason (same with the rappel tower, slide-for-life, confidence course, gas chamber, crucible, etc.). Like everything in bootcamp, all you have to do is stay awake (some can't), pay attention, maintain a positive attitude, and do EXACTLY as you are taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Don't worry about it. There will be some who can't even do what you can in the pool. They want you to pass and you will keep trying till you do (you will get individual instruction if you need it). The typical recruit says they worried about it for no reason (same with the rappel tower, slide-for-life, confidence course, gas chamber, crucible, etc.). Like everything in bootcamp, all you have to do is stay awake (some can't), pay attention, maintain a positive attitude, and do EXACTLY as you are taught.
    100% Accurate. Swim Qual is nothing to fear. You will get through it. There were many Iron Duck's in boot camp when i went that admitted they couldn't swim period. They all passed, and many of them during graduation commented that it was probably one of the easier challenges they faced.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you follow instructions you'll get SQ-2 and that's all you need unless you've got some oddball job. Later on at requal you can worry about getting SQ-4. It's not hard at all as long as you can keep a clear head. Most people who have a major issue are the ones who panic or have some deathly fear of water.

Thank you for the responses Marines, this has definitely taken a burden off my shoulders. I can now think about boot camp with no worries! Now the hardest part for me is going to be waiting to go. Praying I backup ship this Monday but if not 4/14 is only 23 days and 11 hours away .

Been waiting for 4 years in high school plus 8 months in the DEP, but these last few weeks are the hardest!

Thanks again Marines,

Carlo N

I couldn't swim a stroke when I was in boot camp. Learned how to swim about year later at my first duty station.

Quote Originally Posted by Vundabar View Post
    Thank you for the responses Marines, this has definitely taken a burden off my shoulders. I can now think about boot camp with no worries! Now the hardest part for me is going to be waiting to go. Praying I backup ship this Monday but if not 4/14 is only 23 days and 11 hours away .

Been waiting for 4 years in high school plus 8 months in the DEP, but these last few weeks are the hardest!

Thanks again Marines,

Carlo N
    Good Luck Man.

Remember Loud and Fast for everything you do down there.

Thread Information