Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iwo Jima

Credits
    Savings

Iwo Jima

Today is Anniversary of Iwo Jima

Similar Threads:

Actually, today is the anniversary of Raising the flag on Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima in 1945..

God bless all the Marines who lost there lives on Iwo Jima.

And all that still live with that stuff still in there head today.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have the picture of the original flag raising, not the one you see today. Click on it to make it larger.

Attached Images Attached Images

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Iwo.jpg

On this day in 1945, a battle begun which made and shaped our Corps for eternity. RIP, Gunny Basilone. Semper Fidelis.

-gwladgarwr

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Actually, today is the anniversary of Raising the flag on Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima in 1945..
    The flag was raised February 23rd...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David R 1968 View Post
    God bless all the Marines who lost there lives on Iwo Jima.
    Don't Forget about the Docs David,a lott of Doc lost their lives too, but yet we brothers share that Saying Uncommon Valor was a common Virtue oooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi my Brothers.

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Sorry Doc I think of you guys as Marines.

It is okay, David ,no problem my brother.

Semper Fi and God Bless my brother

I was six days old when they landed on that black rock my best friend at schools grandfather died on that rock. Have nothing but total respect for all who served there.

God Bless them All, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
    The flag was raised February 23rd...!!!
    Damn, and I was hoping that nobody would notice my mistake. At my age every day is today.

Here's a link to the last man involved in the creation of the famous Iwo Jima flag raising, Norman Hatch, 5th Marine photo officer.

http://www.usmccca.org/archives/6946

Sidebar: the original film of the flag raising Sgt Bill Genaust filmed (killed shortly after flag raising) went to Marine Corps archives in Quantico, VA. I was there as film editor in 1968 and located the film...but it was not the original but a master or duplicate. I learned that the original was stolen and only evidence of flag raising other than the still photo, was from a film copy.

Another sidebar: Sgt Genaust was killed in Iwo. His remains were in a cave but lost until recently when evidence surfaced of his whereabouts. Initial plans to return the cameraman stateside but the family elected that his final resting place be Iwo. (More Marine combat photographers were killed at Iwo than at any other time during WWII. Vietnam War exceeded the total number of Marine combat photographers KIA ever -- with Cpl. William Perkins first combat photographer in all U.S. miltary to receive the MOH.

When one of the Docs went to receive His CMOH George Wahlen I believe President Harry S Truman Said "I finally have the pleasure of presenting this award to a living pill pusher".

Semper Fi My Brothers and Sisters

Thread Information