Bags approved for wear in utilities
Create Post

Bags approved for wear in utilities

So we all know a while back we got approved to wear non issued bags in cammies as long as it was "tactical." Well the other day I got corrected by my Sgt saying they changed the order back to only issues backpacks being approved. This was all fine and dandy until yesterday when I witnessed a LtCol, Maj, and server SNCOs all wearing non-issued backpacks. Can anyone confirm the current policy with either a MCO or MARADMIN to back it up?

Thank You in Advance

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I found this dated Dec 2011:

Marines in uniform are now authorized to carry nonissued backpacks and other cargo bags.
    The new policy, approved by Commandant Gen. Jim Amos following a recommendation from the Marine Corps Uniform Board, allows personnel dressed in camouflage utility uniforms to carry commercially purchased backpacks bearing the digital Marine Pattern design or any of these neutral colors, according to Marine administrative message 695/11:
    • Black
    • Olive drab
    • Brown or tan, or a combination of both
    Backpacks and cargo bags must be "conservative" and have manufacturer logos no larger than 5 inches by 2 inches, officials said in the latest changes to the Corps' uniform regulations. While in uniform, Marines must wear the straps over both shoulders, so gym bags, duffel bags and computer bags still have to be carried by hand.
    Female Marines, although cleared to carry backpacks, still can't carry a purse or handbag if they are wearing utilities.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    UNIFORM BOARD 212 RESULTS Date Signed: 12/06/2011
    MARADMINS Active Number: 695/11
    R 052155Z DEC 11
    UNCLASSIFIED//
    MARADMIN 695/11
    MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CMC//
    SUBJ/UNIFORM BOARD 212 RESULTS//
    REF/A/DOC/MCUB/2 AUG 2011//
    REF/B/DOC/MCUB/18 MAR 2008//
    NARR/REF A CMC DECISION MEMO; UNIFORM BOARD 212/ REF B IS MCO P1020.34G CHANGE 1-5; THE MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS.//
    POC/YA2 M. BOYT/-/MCUB/-/TEL:-(703)432-3333 OR DSN 378-3333/EMAIL MARY.BOYT(AT)USMC.MIL/ AND MR. R. SLOAN/-/MCUB/-/TEL:-(703)432-3299 OR DSN 378-3299/EMAIL RONALD.SLOAN.CTR(AT)SMC.MIL//
    GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. PER REF A, ON 17 OCT 2011, CMC RENDERED DECISIONS ON UNIFORM BOARD NO. 212.
    2. CMC DECISIONS ARE DETAILED BELOW.
    A. AGENDA ITEM A: 8TH AND I SUPPLEMENTAL CLOTHING ALLOWANCES
    (1) RECOMMENDATION 1: AUTHORIZE A SUPPLEMENTAL EVENING DRESS (CASH) ALLOWANCE FOR COMPANY GRADE OFFICERS ASSIGNED TO THE WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL AIDE PROGRAM. CMC DECISION: APPROVED.
    (2) RECOMMENDATION 2(A): AUTHORIZE A SUPPLEMENTAL FEMALE DRESS CAP AND SERVICE CAP (CASH) ALLOWANCE TO ALL FEMALE OFFICERS ASSIGNED TO MARINE BARRACKS 8TH AND I. CMC DECISION: APPROVED.
    (3) RECOMMENDATION 2(B): AUTHORIZE A SUPPLEMENTAL FEMALE SERVICE CAP ALLOWANCE TO ALL ENLISTED FEMALES (EXCLUDING DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS MEMBERS) ASSIGNED TO MARINE BARRACKS 8TH AND I. CMC DECISION: APPROVED.
    B. AGENDA ITEM B: SUPPLEMENTAL CLOTHING ALLOWANCE FOR FIELD MEDICAL TRAINING BATTALIONS (FMTB) RECOMMENDATION: APPROVE A SUPPLEMENTAL CLOTHING ALLOWANCE FOR INSTRUCTORS AT FMTB-WEST AND EAST. CMC DECISION: APPROVED.
    C. AGENDA ITEM C: WEAR OF COMMERCIAL BAGS IN UTILITIES RECOMMENDATION: AUTHORIZE THE WEAR OF BLACK, OLIVE DRAB, BROWN, TAN OR A COMBINATION THERE OF, OR MARPAT COMMERCIAL OR ORGANIZATIONAL BACKPACKS, OF A CONSERVATIVE NATURE WITH MINIMAL LOGO REPRESENTATION (MANUFACTURE TAGS/LOGOS IN SUBDUED COLORS NO LARGER THAN 5 INCHES LONG BY 2 INCHES WIDE), OVER BOTH SHOULDERS WITH THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORMS. CMC DECISION: APPROVED. ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: CHANGE PARAGRAPH 1004.4.B OF REF B TO READ: "B. BLACK, OLIVE DRAB, BROWN, TAN OR A COMBINATION THERE OF, OR MARPAT COMMERCIAL OR ORGANIZATIONAL BACKPACKS, OF A CONSERVATIVE NATURE WITH MINIMAL LOGO REPRESENTATION (MANUFACTURE TAGS/LOGOS IN SUBDUED COLORS NO LARGER THAN 5 INCHES LONG BY 2 INCHES WIDE), ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR OVER BOTH SHOULDERS WITH THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORMS. THIS AUTHORITY DOES NOT EXTEND BEYOND COMMERCIAL/ORGANIZATIONALLY ISSUED BACKPACKS. GYM/DUFFEL BAGS, COMPUTER BAGS WILL CONTINUE TO BE HAND CARRIED. IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARAGRAPH 3014, PURSES/HANDBAGS WILL NOT BE CARRIED (OVER THE SHOULDER, IN THE HAND OR OVER THE ARM) IN THE UTILITY UNIFORM."
    D. AGENDA ITEM D: FEMALE SKIRT REQUIREMENT RECOMMENDATION: MAKE THE SERVICE, DRESS BLUE AND DRESS WHITE OFFICER AND ENLISTED SKIRTS OPTIONAL (THE SLACKS WOULD BE REQUIRED). CMC DECISION: DISAPPROVED. FEMALE MARINES WILL CONTINUE TO MAINTAIN BOTH SKIRTS AND SLACKS.
    E. AGENDA ITEM E: WARRANT OFFICER (WO) INSIGNIA DESIGN RECOMMENDATION: REVISE THE MARINE CORPS WO RANK INSIGNIA. CMC DECISION: DISAPPROVED.
    F. AGENDA ITEM F: SLEEVE POSITION IN THE MC COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM (MCCUU) RECOMMENDATION: REQUIRE THE SLEEVES OF THE MCCUU TO BE WORN DOWN, YEAR AROUND. CMC DECISION: APPROVED, EFFECTIVE 24 OCT 2011, AS ANNOUNCED VIA MARADMIN 621/11.
    ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: CHANGE PARAGRAPH 3038.3 OF REF B TO READ:
    "3. THE COMBAT UTILITY COAT WILL BE WORN OUTSIDE THE TROUSERS. SLEEVES WILL BE WORN DOWN, YEAR AROUND. SLEEVE CUFFS SHOULD NOT BE FOLDED UP AND SHOULD BE BUTTONED SO THAT THE CUFF OF THE SLEEVE COVERS THE WRIST BONE TO A POINT 2 INCHES ABOVE THE SECOND JOINT FROM THE END OF THE THUMB. IN HOT WEATHER THE SLEEVE SHOULD BE LOOSELY CUFFED TO PROMOTE AIR CIRCULATION. IN TEMPERATE/COLD WEATHER THE SLEEVE CUFFS SHOULD BE TIGHTENED IN AN EFFORT TO RETAIN BODY HEAT. WHEN COMBAT BOOTS ARE WORN, THE TROUSERS WILL BE BLOUSED IN A NEAT UNIFORM MANNER. WHEN THE COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM IS PRESCRIBED FOR PARADES, REVIEWS AND CEREMONIES, THE HELMET WITH CAMOUFLAGE COVER MAY ALSO BE PRESCRIBED."
    3. HONOR BRACELETS. PER ALMAR 043/11, KIA BRACELETS, KNOWN OFFICIALLY AS "HONOR BRACELETS," ARE AUTHORIZED FOR VISIBLE WEAR IN UNIFORM. THE BELOW SUBPARAGRAPH HAS BEEN INCORPORATED INTO PARAGRAPH 1004.5.A: "(6) PRISONER OF WAR/MISSING IN ACTION (POW/MIA) AND HONOR BRACELETS (ALSO KNOWN AS KILLED IN ACTION (KIA) BRACELETS), ARE AUTHORIZED FOR VISIBLE WEAR IN UNIFORM. THE BRACELETS WILL BE SILVER OR BLACK IN COLOR, 1/2 INCH WIDE AND ENGRAVED WITH: RANK/ RATE, NAME, DATE CAPTURED/MISSING/ KILLED, AND OPERATION/ LOCATION THE INDIVIDUAL WAS CAPTURED/WENT MISSING/ KILLED. MULTIPLE NAMES ON ONE BRACELET ARE AUTHORIZED, BUT ONLY ONE BRACELET WILL BE WORN AT A TIME. NO OTHER BRACELETS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR IN UNIFORM."
    4. MARINE CORPS RUNNING SUITS. ADD JACKET, ATHLETIC AND PANTS, ATHLETIC, QTY 1 EACH, TO THE OFFICER MINIMUM REQUIREMENT LISTS, TABLES 9-2 AND 9-1 OF REF B.
    5. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY COL J. D. ALFORD, PRESIDENT, PERMANENT MARINE CORPS UNIFORM BOARD.//

That is all I was able to find as well but no where did I find anything about it being reversed. I guess I will confront said Sgt about where his information came from.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emayer View Post
    That is all I was able to find as well but no where did I find anything about it being reversed. I guess I will confront said Sgt about where his information came from.
    DO NOT CONFRONT HIM!....that is just asking to get an a$$ whoopin. Just print out this order, carry it on you, and continue to carry your backpack. If and when he confronts you on it then you can, tactfully, inform him of the order. And if he has a problem with that and continues to harass you about it, bring it up to someone else higher.

To be completely honest though, if this Sgt. is your Sgt. and is in your direct chain of command....you're probably not gonna win no matter what any order says

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would just leave well enough alone and do what your Sgt. says.

That covers you all the way around for the " Just in case ".

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Thank Chesty...it's just backpacks and not purses that are being discussed!

Thread Information