Reserve Questions
Create Post

Reserve Questions

I am currently not a Marine. Due to a recent job opportunity in the fire department, I will no longer pursue my previous plans of enlisting and becoming active duty. Since I would still like to earn the title of Marine, I was hoping to go reserve. So here's a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could answer:

1. What is the process of becoming a reservist?
    2. What is the schedule of a reservist like?
    3. Can I become reservist and maintain respect from active duty Marines?

Any other useful information would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to serve my country in every way that I can, so I want to remind you that the reserves is my only option right now. I want to put in the same amount of work as everyone else and earn the title of Marine, so don't assume that this is an 'easy way out' of what could have been an active duty career.

Similar Threads:

I can try to answer some of these...since I was stationed at an I&I

The process to become a Marine reservist is the same as going active duty....enlist, boot camp, MOS school, etc. Where it differs is that you do not transfer to the fleet.

The schedule of a reservist is pretty straight forward. You get stationed at a command near your home of record based on your MOS needs (if you become a aviation mech, you'll only get stationed with a reserve aviation wing). You do 1 weekend a month and 2 full weeks a year (annual training). However, it could be adjusted to where you could do a week straight or any mix/match needed as long as it was approved. The goal was to meet the 50 points needed annually to have a "satisfactory" year (each day is worth 2 points I recall), so if you had to work your Fireman job on a weekend that didn't meet your reserve requirement, you could make adjustments with approval.

Respect from an active duty Marine as a reservist? lol. I guess it depends on the Marine. I've met a lot of great Marines who were reserves, and I've met a lot of ****bags who were active. As long as you stay in good shape, be professional and act like a Marine....you will earn the respect regardless of status. If you don't like being a fireman, there is also the opportunity to go full time active duty afterwards. Hope this helps.

That is really good to know and I think becoming a reservist is the best option for me at the moment. Thanks for your input.
    Another quick question:

1. What's the average time spent for someone's MOS training?

I know that this question is somewhat vague, but I was just hoping to get an idea of the time frame I'm looking at.

Thread Information