Obtaining decorations
Create Post

Obtaining decorations

My kids and grandkids have been after me for a while to get my medals. Until now there was no urgency, but recent developments in my health have altered my priorities. I never received any of the general decorations-Viet Nam service, unit citations, etc., and my two personal decorations were presented to me and taken back to present to someone else due to a lack of medals (Lejuene, 1969). Not all of my unit medals (PUC, NUC, MUC) were listed on my DD214, mostly because they weren't authorized before my discharge. There is also some confusion about which unit decorations I rate. I was assigned to 3rd Recon, Delta, where I patrolled for half my tour, before being attached to the Recon Platoon, BLT 2/4. During my time with 2/4, both 2/4 and 3rd Recon were authorized unit citations. Do I rate both decorations, or just one. I actually tried to get my decorations several times over nearly five years, using the correct forms, to no avail. I'm about ready to visit my congressman! Do I rate both units decorations from 3rd Recon and BLT 2/4 while on detached duty?

Similar Threads:

F.Y.I. FOR ALL SERVICEMEN IF YOU WANT TO GET COPIES OF YOUR S.R.B. or other records try this link to obtaining them your records hope they will help in your quest to find your Platoon book.

www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/index.html

Credits
    Savings
    Getting your SRB is easy but if your last entry will be when you left active duty. If your decorations aren't entered you'll have to find out what you rate and file some kind of paperwork to get an amended 214. Getting the actual medals is something else...my brother was in Chosin and his records were pretty screwed up but he got them updated and got his medals some years ago. He filed some papers and a few months later they sent them, brand new and all boxed up. He wanted me get mine but I'm like you, I told him I didn't give a sh*t about them. I'm sure some of the old salts here can tell you how to go about it. If not surf some of the other websites and the official Marine sites. You might also try the VFW, DAV and AL.By the way, my brother is resting at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemtary, so I can't ask him.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Here you go Brother.

Military Service Department unit histories and military operations.

• U.S. Marine Corps History Division
      3078 Upshur Avenue
      Quantico, Virginia 22134

Telephone: (703) 432-4877

National Archives and Records Administration

Modern Military Records - NWCTM
    8601 Adelphi Road
    College Park, MD 20740-6001

Telephone: 202-357-5000
    Customer Service Center Telephone: 1-866-325-7208

How would I get my 2 Desert Storm Medals they owe my the Kuwaiti liberation EDAL FROM Kuwait AND a liberation medal from Saudi Arabia I was dc'd Feb 29,1992. I was with6th Motor Transport, 1stFSSG 1st MEF.

Semper Fi and thankyou

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Call the 2nd number above Doc.

Thank you Rocky!!

Semper Fi and God Bless my brother

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I know this works as I got my entire SRB and medical records 3 years ago....

You can also contact your local Veterans Service Officer. They can help with all the forms. That's who helped me. I got my stuff, and more (awards that were retroactive). Be prepared it's going to take at least 6 months or longer. It's all going to come from St. Louis.

Thread Information