Reserves To PLC
Create Post

Thread: Reserves To PLC

Reserves To PLC

Hello all,

I am currently a PLC candidate strugglong with college debt. Today I met up with my OSO and the Gunny frok a near by recruiting center and they suggested I go in enlisted on the reserved side and apply for the PLC program that way to better my chances, as well as receive help for school.

The way they layed it out was:

1. Boot camp this summer at the end of the semester in may.

2. SOI and MOS school during the fall.

3. Begin application for the PLC program in spring 2015 while enrolled in school.

I was wondering how accurate that layout seemed.

I really wouldnt be too happy about getting activated while in school so i workout as hard a possible to get into OCS. Im thinking that as long as i'm squared awayi would have nothing to worry about and that i would make it through to the PLC with no issues.

Similar Threads:

Pardon the terrible grammar, doing this on a phone was a bad idea.

I breathed a sigh of relief when you clarified about using a phone to text. Had you not, your chances of becoming a commissioned officer are going to be slim or none.

Reading between (your) lines, I sense Gunny is conveying a very strong hint: best you go enlisted. Good luck. How many year(s) of college do you have under your belt? I'm somewhat dumbfounded that you've accumulated so much debt that it's dragging you down.

I was denied my financial aid last semester, my freshmen year finally caught up to me. This left me with a thirteen thousand dollar bill to pay out of pocket. I have acummulated 45 credits at UMass, but I am not allowed to access my official transcript until the outstanding balance is paid. So i basically back at square the academic end until that money can be paid off. Basically two and a half years down the drain.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    the timeline you laid out that the Gunny told you is pretty spot on. the only thing i would advise you on is that the money you get in the reserves(chapter 1606/montgomery reserve GI Bill) doesn't get you enough to "pay for school". it's only about $300/month during the semester.

That makes it hardly seem forth it, But I am assuming that being accepted into the PLC program would make up for it.

I just had a thought. When I first entered UMass I was by two captains, one offering the NROTC scholarship, and the other the PLC. I chose to go the PLC route due to the fact that the NROTC required me to transfer to a different university. Would I be elligeble to apply for the NROTC again while in the reserves? I am just looking for the best route to achieve my ultimate goal.

*Update* I am retaking my ASVAB on monday due to the fact that over 2 year have passed since I last took it. scored 78 the first time hopefully that can improve.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know for sure but I don't see why not

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone else asking similar questions to yours...

Enlisting, in the reserves or active duty, is NOT a stepping stone to become an officer. If anything it will get in the way, drill takes up more than one weekend a month and is more stressful than you think.

I have been through the PLC process 3 times, twice while in the reserves. I understand you can't afford school but enlisting in the reserves is not going to really help you financially all that much. Plus it will set you back almost a full year year in school because of the time you'll be at boot camp, SOI, and/or MOS school

If you were myson, I would have advised you to take the NROTC option. I did, but he enlistedanyway. His bud went with the NROTC option, and the Navy is picking up hiscollege tab, and giving him spending cash during the school semester. I thinkthey max out at $180,000, which is not a bad gift for serving four years aftergraduation. There are a few simple requirements; maintain a 2.00 GPA, and aphysical fitness test that is a joke. The downside is UMass doesn’t offer it. However,Holy Cross and Harvard offer the program as well as others in Mass.

The PLC programis excellent. I am a product, butcollege was cheap back in the early 60s. You must make the next decision. Doyou want to be a Marine Officer, or go to UMass? Sounds like you can't do both.I've met Mustangs, but they went to OCS after their enlistment careers had beenwell established, and they obtained their degrees while in the Corps. I don’tthink the reserve benefits will provide you as lucrative a deal as the NROTC, plus Sgt. JosephD tells you of his experience in prior posts.

Good luck son.
    Lt. Pete

Thank you both for the input!

It's becoming clear that enlisting would not be the best option. I have no problem with transferring to an NROTC eligible university, but I am currently at a community college in my hometown because of the outstanding bill. I have to pay 13k to UMass in order to get my associates by the end of next spring and then transfer to a new four year institution. This is why the PLC might be better since I could take part in the juniors portion while at a 2 year institution as long as I intend to transfer, if I am not mistaken.

My OSO confirmed yesterday that my weakness is on the physical side, namely the 3 mile run. I can max out crunches, attain about 13 pull ups and the run lingers between 20:00-21:00. I need some serious work.

So to sum it all up, I need to work hard both academically and physically. Get into the PLC class of 2015. All the while paying off UMass.

I'll have to give my OSO a call and see what he says to say.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can do this . It all depends on how bad you want it. " The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Please keep us posted.

Thread Information