SD bound Poolee wanting to go to PI - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wink PI vs SD...it doesn't matter

Personally, I went to PI, 3rd Bat. H Comp. Plt. 377, 1976. When I got out to the fleet I met Marines from SD and PI and some were superb Marines, some were scumbags.

It's all what you put into it. When I went to work for the company I currently work for, I ended up with a Supervisor that was a SD Marine (and he jokes about his sunglasses and all), he was the best Supervisor I've ever had...to this day. He was in during Vietnam, but never shipped out to the Nam.

So for all the Poolee's out there...it doesn't matter which MCRD you attend.

ENJOY your holidays and being around family and friends. When you get MCRD your life is going to change. No two ways about it.

Looking back at it, it was the best time of my life, but when I was in your shoes looking forward to it, I was scared out of my mind.

The Marine at the main gate at the causeway going into PI told the 5 of us that we needed to start running cause we'd just fu**ed up beyond all comprehension. After about 4 weeks, I thought he was right. But now, 28 years and some odd months later, I'm glad I went through it.

Semper Fi, Good Luck, Obey INSTANTLY, and you'll get along.

Frank Scoggins
    ks4oc

The whole boot camp thing is actually something I get sick of quite quickly. There is little difference in the training at the two Depots. The DI's act the same towards recruits, the recruits must accomplish the same tasks, and they both turn out United States Marines, the finest fighting men (and women) on the planet. It is fun to have the little discussions about which is better from time to time, but each has their upside and downside. The biggest difference is hills out west and bugs in the east. Other than that, and being forced to yell at airplanes from time to time, there isn't much to talk about.
    To be blunt, I think you should have other issues on your mind before you ship to boot camp. Worrying about getting to the other depot is a petty thing to consider when you take into account the physical and mental demands of being a Marine Recruit.

Credits
    Savings
    Cole 11. If you are really serious about going to PI . Move East of the Mississippi , establish a residence and then Enlist. I suppose by the delay date you must still be in High School or school of some nature. Just remember that no matter where you go through Boot Camp it ain't no picnic and when you finish you will be a MARINE. Where you went to Boot Camp comes into the conversation only after who you are talking to sees The Eagle Globe and Anchor. They don't give that out. You earn it. Good Luck Son , you will never regret your decision.... That is after Boot Camp,you will never regret it. Take Care. As Elanor Roosevlt once said," If you have a boy in the Service-write him, if you have a boy at Parris Island-Pray for Him".

Our Senior D.I. came to us from PI. He was Force Recon, lived to run. He never even broke a sweat! He said the training at SD was much tougher then the training he gave at PI. Prepare!

The footprints are yellow no matter which one yer at....Just use the time to prepare, mentally and physically. Its like the SOI breifing we had, where a Recruit in my platoon asked if he could bring his laptop, and if there would be room in his wall locker to stow it. If you are worried about things such as this, we should look into other things...the timing nor the place matter, just the common bond we share. Ooh-Rah Echo...you hit it right on the head. Good luck.

Stay Motivated,

Joe

PI, SD. it's a coin flip---same training! You will become a Marine---if you can make it to become the very best.

Cole 11, I gotta go with E4B, it doesn't matter which depot you attend, it's the same training. This PI vs. SD is really just a BS thing amongst Marines.

Hmm, I don't think I'll be taking too much of the advice on this forum to heart. ;-)

Credits
    Savings
    If you really want to go to PI vice San Diego it's your choice but remember it's still the same sharpness on the sword where ever you decide to go. I have heard of only two Marines who have requested to go to another Depot and they went. I don't know if there are anymore than that. All they said they did was just request it through their Recruiter. Try it, the worst thing he can say is "No".
    A Marine is the same no matter where they get their start.

i heard PI sucks because of the humid and very hot weather even though sd is hot i heard PI gets very humid and i heard the bugs down there are brutal

Now Vinnie, I know you know about the "sun glasses thing" because I covered it for you in a pm weeks ago, and Caesar Augustus not only will you be a "Hollywood Marine" you might even get to be famious. Where do you think all those "poster Marines come from?

LOL @ Sgt. Mills
    After hearing some of the replies and stuff, I feel now that no matter where I go, I will have the chance to be a Marine.

Cole11 lives East of the Mississippi River.
    I, too went to MCRD SD, aka "Hollywood Marines".
    Many recruits out of the Chicagoland area go to MCRD SD.
    Wonder why?
    We live East of the Mississippi River.
    Must be a Marine Corps thing.
    Loved yelling at the top of my lungs
    ATTENTION!!!
    At 0100 on a chilly morning in December of 1957.
    Than hearing the echo vibrate down arches of the covered walkways.
    One thing about MCRD SD, that little walk in the crucible
    is all up hill in sunny California.
    That one thing the recruit from MCRD PI aka "The Swamp" don't have to worry about.
    Just a few bugs and snakes.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo the "Hollywood Marine"

Wow, this sunglasses thing; you Marines are cruel. :-)

I was surprised, but when I hiked the Inca Trail (AKA, the Inca Trial) in Peru, the hard part for me wasn't going uphill, it was going downhill. After three or four straight hours of climbing down stone steps set in the side of the Andes mountains, I thought my knees were going to explode.

Cole11, Just learn to take what the Marine Corps offers you. The Corps really doesn't give a red rat's tail where you want to go. Just suck it up, take the training, (if you can) no matter where it is and discover if you have what it takes to become a Marine.

The first thing you might try doing is to stop whining about where you will be sent. You have had a lot of feedback here, read and think about it. The Marine Corps is not joining you---YOU are joining the MARINE CORPS.

Thread Information