Recruit training PFT tips?
Create Post

Recruit training PFT tips?

Hello Marines,
    I am in the DEP and am scheduled to leave for boot camp in 19 days. I can pass the IST and I am at my ship weight. I am very nervous about the 3 mile run portion of the PFT. I was wondering, does anyone have any tips on how to run faster and longer? Right now I can run about 2 miles without stopping. I have been doing 3 mile runs on my own and am currently at a 36 minute 3 mile. Will I get dropped to the PCP if I fail the initial PFT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:

If you can pass your IST, relax. The IST's scores are set at what they are for a reason, the minimum physical standards to begin training. Yes, they're the minimum and you should always strive for more, but never the less, you say you can pass it. Therefore, let the Marine Corps and Recruit Training do it's job. As long as you pass the IST, you enter training. Only your drill instructors will determine when and how much you run from that point on and there's nothing you can do to change that. Stop worrying about the PFT's right now, just make sure your ass passes everything necessary to get you on that plane, and then the bus.

By the way, Poolee, quit convincing yourself you can't pass a PFT anyway. One of the biggest things you'll learn in boot camp is your body is an absolute tank and it's only real limit is what your brain tries to convince it. You say you can't make it passed two miles right now without stopping. I will guarantee you can make it the three. It's a mental block.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
    I have been doing 3 mile runs on my own and am currently at a 36 minute 3 mile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Just a quick comment.
    For those initially challenging 3 runs get your breathing rhythm nailed down.
    That should help.

Good luck...

Listen up...you say you are running 2 miles without stopping? And you are doing 3 mile runs on your own, doing 36 minute 3 miles? Listen...YOU WILL BE FINE. This running stuff is mostly in your head. If you are running 2 or 3 miles, the only thing keeping you from running 5 or 6 miles is mental attitude/motivation. You will NOT fail the initial PFT...I promise you. I am a runner, and I can tell you this stuff is mostly MENTAL. You have to take that word "fail" and erase it from your vocabulary. Understood? Carry on...

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    36 minute 3 mile??

you have to be stopping here and there and/or walking the whole thing.

I can do the 3 miles in around 27 minutes going VERY slow(barely a jog) and stopping to walk every mile or so

don't worry about it though, if you can pass the IST you're fine. your DI's will get you to where you need to be by the time you run a PFT that matters

Alright cool, thanks for all the advice. I'm getting better at running everyday and am not as worried as I was a week ago.

Thread Information