Married before basic - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Appears to me he is one of those who already has all the answers. They'll come on here and ask a question. But, as soon as they see an answer they don't like then they don't want to play anymore. Counseled too many young Marines just like him. You can talk to them till you're blue in the face but in the end, they're going to do what they're going to do. That's cool - some people just have to learn the hard way and some never learn. I learned. I waited till I was a Sgt to get married (just like some advise here). We had been married four years and were living in base housing aboard Camp Pendleton when I reenlisted again and BAM - those unaccompanied orders for Okinawa showed up. I went to OKI and she stayed in base housing alone. She hooked up with Jody about the halfway point but never told me till I came home. She picked me up at the Greyhound bus station in San Clemente, dropped me off at our quarters, threw her bags in our vehicle, and swooped. I never saw her again - the divorce papers arrived in the mail a few says later. Fortunately, there were no kids involved so I avoided paying child support for however many years later. Had some relationships since but never got married again (not worth it to me). Saw it happen to too many of my friends over the years but never believed it would happen to me. I don't believe rank/experience/maturity have anything to do with it. You see just as many SNCO's and officers get divorced as young NCO's and nonrates. It's the lifestyle and pressure of constant separations/deployments/changing duty stations, etc. And, it's not going to get any better. Our Commandant has said we are going to get back to our expeditionary roots and being the nation's 911 force. That means being forward-deployed and aboard Navy ships - not sitting at home stateside with your family.

Yes it takes a very strong Woman to Marry a Marine. I was so lucky 31 years ago,got Married 10 days before BootCamp (No, She was not knocked-up) And We have been together though it all,OKI twice, out in the field, getting deployed. Talking helped Us alot letting each other know how We felt about things.Just My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    ...Our Commandant has said we are going to get back to our expeditionary roots and being the nation's 911 force. That means being forward-deployed and aboard Navy ships - not sitting at home stateside with your family.
    I think a lot of kids going in now believe they are only going to be a Marine between 08:00 and 17:00 monday through friday. hahaha...they will learn the hard way and reality will be a punch in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by 03GyRene View Post
    I think a lot of kids going in now believe they are only going to be a Marine between 08:00 and 17:00 monday through friday. hahaha...they will learn the hard way and reality will be a punch in the gut.
    Ha...unlike the literal 'punch in the gut' that used to be DI protocol.

I do agree with your comment.

TTOP....'Sitting at home stateside' was certainly NOT what I envisioned I'd be doing as a Marine.

Carry on....

Thread Information