CDL equivalence
Create Post

Thread: CDL equivalence

CDL equivalence

Hey there Ladies and Fellows

I'm trying to gather up some information both for myself and for some of the Marines in my reserve unit about getting military vehicle operators licenses converted to civilian commercial drivers licenses. I know the paperwork processes for vehicles that have obvious civilian-world equivalents (7-ton = tandem axle dump truck, etc). This is more geared to Marines that have licenses in the engineer equipment field (MRAP's, etc) as these vehicles have things such as air brakes and high GVWR numbers, but not always a clear translation to civilian vehicle classes.

What I'd like to know is if there's a list through official channels that anyone knows of that goes vehicle-by-vehicle and lists its commercial drivers license class equivalents. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    as far as I was aware none of the licenses transfer over to the civilian world at all. I have my 7-ton, HMMWV, MRAP, MATV, and LVS/R licenses, and was told not one of them transfers. It could be different state to state though.

It does go state to state, as here in Pennsylvania, I know of quite a few people who have done it across the services. The DMV makes the paperwork process fairly straightforward in most cases

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    That's cool, well unless there is someone else in Penn. that has done it I doubt you'll get any other replies or help here.

You're Motor-T Chief/Truck master at your unit or I&I staff should know about this.

Ours just punched out not too long ago, so I do figure we'll get one soon.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Forms
    In May, 2011, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration finalized the Commercial Learner's Permit rule. Within that rule is a provision that gives State Driver Licensing Agencies (SDLA) the authority to substitute two years of CMV safe driving experience in military equivalents of commercial motor vehicles, for the skills test portion of the commercial driver license skills test.
    The regulation, 49 CFR 383.77, provides guidance for SDLAs which requires the applicant to certify: 1) his/ her safe driving experience; 2) that he or she has not held more than one license (except a military DL) in the past two years; 3) has not had his/her base State issued driver license suspended, revoked or cancelled; and, 3) has not had convictions in any type of motor vehicle for the disqualifying CDL offenses listed elsewhere in the regulations. There are also other requirements that States must recognize in order to take advantage of this Skills Test Waiver, but the process allows States to assist veterans and active duty personnel in their transition from their military occupation to a civilian career. As more and more of our military troops return home from active duty, the Department of Transportation and FMCSA have joined with the Departments of Defense, Labor and Veterans Affairs to ease this process.
    FMCSA, in collaboration with the US Army, Department of Defense and the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, has generated a standardized Application for Military Skills Test Waiver form. This document addresses all of the issues captured in the new regulation including which violations can deny the waiver; identifying the specific type(s) of vehicle which the service member was licensed to drive; and, an endorsement by the service member's commanding officer of the safe driving record. For a list of the States which currently offer the skills test waiver for military drivers see the map."

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...DL-Waiver.aspx

I'd say that's definitely along the lines of the kind of information I'm looking for.

Credits
    Savings
    Phantom quoted an excellent source.
    Additionally each state has a Motor Vehicle Division.
    Each of these may have slightly diifferant variations.

Answer to your question
    A Military "CDL" if you will does not automatically transfer to a Civillian CDL

Go forth to your local BMV with a list of questions , they are prepared to answer you best.

Opinion-- think about the choice of being a Truck Driver for a career
    If you get with the right company-- it's a living (not all bad)
    If you choose unwisely shame on you.

Consider very carefully--- Owner Operator
    Expenses eat into income big time

They wont transfer in New Jersey

Credits
    Savings
    Two head scratchers for you

Minimum age in MOST States for a CDL is 21
    Some states are lower--
    there are a few states that will honor lower requirements
    of another state.

In PA a Comercial driver can get a ticket for a "buildup " of snow /ice on the roof.
    Currently falling snow is not a problem but a buildup is likely to cause an accident.
    Imagine brooming a rig in BAD weather !

Thread Information